Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Question on timing belt tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question on timing belt tensioner

Hi all,

I'm working on the completion of my S40 HG, TB, and other assorted items job. Things are going well but I'm a little concerned on the mechanical TB tensioner. I set everything up on the money and set the tensioner to the center mark that the manual says and then torqued down the tensioner center nut. After turning the motor by hand the two times that is instructed to check marks, I notice that the tensioner snaps to the left and has applied tension, however,the manual says to check that the tensioner has remained on its center position. This seems wrong and I wonder if the manual is actually incorrect?

Any attempt to manually move the tensioner indicator towards the middle, actually now applies slack to the belt. I want to be sure my tensioner is setup OK before I button this up.

Would anyone have any similar experience and could comment? I seem to recall when lining up the marks for removal that it behaved the same way.. I think. Thanks in advance... Steve

Old 06-23-2013, 12:05 PM

Same thing for me. Not sure why it happens but after a few trys it will hold the tension and stay centered after the 2 rotations of the crank. Something to do with a bi-metal spring that adjusts with temperature, maybe just needs to get seated.

I didn't have to remove the crank pulley or alum bracket motor mount which made the job a lot easier. I was able to replace the waterpump, idler, tensioner and belt as it slips by a boss near the crank pulley, just remove the lower steel timing belt cover( 2 bolts).

A good write-up
Volvo Performance Repairs And Modifications

Old 06-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you tension the tensioner in the correct direction - i.e. anti-clockwise?

Old 06-23-2013, 12:53 PM

No preping on the tensioner since nothng I read said to. I just took it from the box, installed, turned the 6mm hex clockwise to center indicator and then torqued it down. Once I rotate the engine manually then I see the indicator sitting all the way left outside the center mark, but the belt is tensioned. If I try then to rotate the tensioner clockwise again towards center mark while tensioned it will slacken belt, then let it go and it flips all the way left and the belt is tensioned.

From what I've seen, each model's mechanical tensioner is a bit different. I'm not aware of any prep to the tesnioner for a 2000 S40 other than the center mark line up after installation.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:55 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It has an eccentric center section that if you continue to rotate will go slack. Are you turning the engine clockwise? From what I've read you do not rotate the engine counter-clockwise as you are setting the tension. In my experience when I tightened the center bolt the tensioner became more tight. I had to adjust the center indicator to the left a tiny bit then bring it between the marks with the final torque on the bolt.

Name:  volvo3_zps39a0661b.jpg
Views: 11625
Size:  62.8 KB

Old 06-23-2013, 09:18 PM

Update - I may have fooled with the tensioner when taking it out of the box. I re-adjusted by rotating the 6mm ecentric more towards 10 oclock, then followed setup again and actually set the center tab a little towards the right since its about 90 degrees where I am now. After torquing and rotating the engine about 4 times it now stays in the same spot and is tensioned. All good - thanks for responses.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone

Could someone help me with the timing tensioner?
It is the only thing i dont understand.

I did screw it in by hand, then put an allen wrench to adjust it, so i tension it to the "hot" position, the third finger, then when i take it back it clicks, like the tension gets released. Am i doing something wrong? What are the exact steps? please if someone could demonstrate i would be very thankful.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:39 AM

You set the position with your Allen wrench then tighten the center bolt to secure it in position. Once tight it shouldn't move.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hudini
You set the position with your Allen wrench then tighten the center bolt to secure it in position. Once tight it shouldn't move.
Thanks, i did do so. How sensitive is the tensioner? i had it a few milimeters towards hot position before tighten it

Old 05-04-2016, 05:10 AM

Certainly not so sensitive that a few millimeters would matter. I've replaced my timing belt about 4 times now and did not know the tensioner was temperature dependent until the last change. Must have missed that part of the instructions.