Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

S40 random "kick back" on acceleration, oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S40 random "kick back" on acceleration, oil?

Hi All,

I am hoping someone here can help give me some advice.

I have a 2006 S40. I recently had some oil issues. I was getting a "whistling" type of noise that stopped when I pulled the dipstick out [ with car running ] or loosened the oil depository cap. I researched this and found it was caused by the Oil Trap being faulty.

I took the car in and they replaced that part. However...

The oil light is still blinking. It has been blinking for awhile and I assumed it was due to the Oil Trap issue.

Since I got the car back I am noticing a new issue. A few times per day, while I am driving [ no variables are consistent ] when I am pushing on the gas -- the car sort of 'kicks back' a bit almost losing acceleration for a moment, then it gets back on track.

Tonight it did this but it was harder, two kicks and then resumed. Tonight I felt like the car might actually stop.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Could it have anything to do with the Oil Trap the shop added or is it just a completely unrelated issue?

Thanks! MD

Old 09-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by milesdavis
Hi All,

I am hoping someone here can help give me some advice.

I have a 2006 S40. I recently had some oil issues. I was getting a "whistling" type of noise that stopped when I pulled the dipstick out [ with car running ] or loosened the oil depository cap. I researched this and found it was caused by the Oil Trap being faulty.

I took the car in and they replaced that part. However...

The oil light is still blinking. It has been blinking for awhile and I assumed it was due to the Oil Trap issue.

Since I got the car back I am noticing a new issue. A few times per day, while I am driving [ no variables are consistent ] when I am pushing on the gas -- the car sort of 'kicks back' a bit almost losing acceleration for a moment, then it gets back on track.

Tonight it did this but it was harder, two kicks and then resumed. Tonight I felt like the car might actually stop.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Could it have anything to do with the Oil Trap the shop added or is it just a completely unrelated issue?

Thanks! MD
For the kick back, check your vacuum lines. They may have knocked something off or forgot to connect one.

For the oil light, first make sure your oil is at the proper level.

Stan