Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 08:46 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Strange noise

There is 3 other mounts beside the right side one. There is one on top of the transmission. To inspect the transmission mount you have to remove the Air filter box.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally i think we have tracked down the problem of all the noises. The car went in for its yearly MOT and they found that the nearside front lower inner suspension arm rubber bushing is worn beyond limits. Due to this bushing being worn there is excessive play which can create some noises during driving. So now i need to replace this bushing and see if my problems regarding the noises are gone.

However i have a few questions. I am in the possesion of a Haynes manual for my car and would like to replace this bushing myself. according to the haynes manual you need a hydraulic press to replace the bushings. Is this hydraulic press needed or is there another method of replacing the bushings? Maybe it is easier to replace the whole lower inner suspension arm instead of only replacing the bushings. My local garage came up with a quote of +/- $300 but he could not tell me if it is possible to replace the bushings seperately or that they needed to replace the whole arm. According to the haynes manual you can replace the bushings only.

According to the haynes manual you also need to check the front wheel alignment after replacement of the bushing or arm but the local garage said it was not necessary.

Tech your guidance in this matter is highly appreciated. Is it a job you can do yourself or is it better do let the pro's do it. I am not in the posession of a hydraulic press and not in posession of wheel alignment tools. However i might be able to replace it myself and than drive to a local dealer to get the alignment checked out.

Thanks for your advice.

FT

Old 12-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Administrator

I haven't had to do one yet. But if you have another car or a friend that can drive you somewhere then you can remove the control arm. Then get the bushing and take it to your local Auto parts store/machine shop and have them press the bushing in.

Then I would have the alignment checked. You have been driving for a while like this so I would have it checked to be on the safe side.

Old 01-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know i am a bit late but still a happy new year to everybody.

Personally i have had a good start of the new year because the problem discussed in this topic is finally solved. In the end it turned out to be a worn rubber on the left hand lower inner suspension arm mounting bushing. I have replaced the complete arm and all is back to normal now. And by doing it myself it costed me half than the local garage or dealer charged for it.

Thanx for everybody's advice in this matter.

FT

Old 01-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Administrator

CONGRATS[sm=happy046.gif]