Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Volvo died while driving. Won't start p0928

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Volvo died while driving. Won't start p0928

Hi everyone. About 2 weeks ago I was driving to work, and out of nowhere my 2005 Volvo S40 died. I was unable to start it back up again. It just turns over and cranks. Before it died, there were no issues with the car, nothing out of the ordinary. After it died, I had my hazard lights on for about 30 minutes waiting for the tow truck, and noticed my car gave me "low battery, power saving mode" message. After I had it towed, it wouldn't even turn over. I tried to jump start it , and it would just turn over. I disconnected the jumper cables and tried to start it and it would just click. My battery wasn't holding charge. I went into the autoparts store to buy a battery thinking that was going to fix everything, but my car still wouldn't start. I ran my obd2 scanner it would give me these codes: p0826 and p1c08. The next day it gave me p0607 and p0928, which was strange to me since I never cleared the first 2 codes.

After researching about the p0928 code, I decided to take my center console apart to get to the gear shifter wires to see if anything looked ok, I noticed the wires were sticky from drinks that have spilled in the past, but other than that everything looked fine. After cleaning the wires and putting the center console back together, It still gave me those codes. I read online that sometimes mice will chew up the wiring in your car, which got me worried because I was having a problem with mice living in my car about a month ago. So I took all the seats out of the car, removed the carpet to inspect wiring, everything looked normal.

So now I was starting to think it might be the ECU, since some of the symptoms for the p0607 code were: Car dies while driving, car will not start, etc. So I decided to get my ECU cloned into a replacement i purchased, again thinking this would fix everything, but I was wrong again. The car will still not start, check engine light comes one, obd2 scanner gives me p0928 and p1c08. So now I am not sure what could be the problem. I will list more details below.

SYMPTOMS:
Car will not start
Car will only turn over, no start
Check Engine Light P0928 & P1C08

FACTS:
Car died while driving one day
Car has not started since that day
Old battery (purchased in 2012) was dead after car died (would not hold charge)
Replaced battery
Had mice living in car about 1 month ago
Checked wring in trunk, and inside vehicle under carpet, all seems OK
Checked every single fuse
Checked spark plugs
Checked battery cables for corrosion or loose cables
Replaced ECU

Vehicle Specs:

2005 Volvo S40 2.4i Non-Turbo
137,xxx current miles
FWD
Automatic Transmission

Old 01-25-2018, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

running on low voltage can cause inadvertant OBD2 codes so you may need to back up to more basic diagnostics. Do you have fuel pressure? you getting any spark? does the car now turn over? I'd think the shift lock system/PNP would keep the car from turning over to prevent starting the car while in gear.. Did you check for fuses and relays being energized?

Old 01-28-2018, 07:46 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 on what mt6127 wrote. You checked the fuses now continue with diagnostics. Check for spark and fuel pressure. Check the timing belt is not broken or slipped by removing the upper engine beauty cover.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed! It was bad fuel pump

Thanks for the reply's. I Have found out what the problem was. My fuel pump was faulty. I was not getting any fuel pressure, even though I was able to hear my fuel pump start up when inserting the key. As for the Check Engine Light P0928, I figured it might be because about a year ago the the the blind cover to the gear shift became jammed, so it wouldn't let me put my vehicle back into park, so out of frustration, I yanked it out. Apparently there is little magnet there that communicates with a sensor, so that's probably what's triggering that code. Also, replacing the fuel pump fixed all the problems I mention in my first post, even cleared the check engine light.