Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Windshield fluid pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield fluid pump

HAs been working great until of curse when I needed it the most yesterday after the blizzard. I don't even hear the pump. Could it be a fuse of some kind?

I looked at the manual and seems like fuse 48 is the one for the windshield pump. Anyone had this problem before?

My windshield work. The fluid tank is full. Could it be frozen?

I dont see any leaks. I can't hear the usual humming sound the pump makes.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Always check your fuses first. It's so simple to rule that out quickly.

If the pump has worked in sub-freezing temps before now then I would not suspect it's frozen. If it is then you need to park the car in a heated garage. Once thawed dump a small can of pure alcohol in the tank (from hardware store). Alcohol bonds with water and will lower the freezing point so you don't have this problem again. Cheap wiper fluid is simply methanol and water mixed which lowers it's freezing point to -20*F. Did you add pure water this summer? That would raise the freezing point.

If the fuse is good and pump not frozen then some digging is required. Do you have a multi-meter? If so you could pull the power connector from the pump and check for voltage when you turn on the pump. You need a helper to activate the pump. This checks for a failed pump.

Do you have a nice dry warm place to work on your car?

Last edited by Hudini; 12-28-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: add
Old 12-28-2010, 10:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes its more than likely that the fluid is frozen.If it is it also could have killed the motor if the fuse didnt blow in time.Pour some hot water into the tank to melt the rest of it then try again.At this point you should replace the fluid with antifreeze type.Main while check the fuse but if its blown only replace it after you replaced the fluid and you are sure the motor is free of ice.After replacing the fuse the motor still doesnt work then its up in the smoke and needs to be replaced.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the input. I was out with the car and I got it in the summer so I have never used it in cold temperatures. On top of that, I notices that the fluid tank doesnt have a cap, so the car sat in my driveway for 2 days while it was freezing out and then we got the blizzard.

The part in the picture is missing from the car. It always worked and I filled it with the good RainX (-25 degrees) fluid. The mechanic I spoke to said to facec the car in the sun and see what happens.

I drove up to Maine (3 hours in the freezing temps 10 with windchill) and i stayed overnight with 6 degrees temp. I dont have a garage.

I think I need to order the rest of the fluid tank (see picture) and see if that helps. On two occasions I heard the pump sound when i activated it.

Attached Thumbnails Windshield fluid pump-volvo-gooseneck.jpg  
Old 12-29-2010, 08:20 PM

LAtest update. As suspected the fluid was frozen. I faceds the car towards the sun and today there were no freezing winds; and now the wipers are working spraying fluid. I also just discovered that I had headlight washers.

Problem solved. Now onto the belt replacement.