Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

04,s60 non turbo..SRS URGENT SERVICE light

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04,s60 non turbo..SRS URGENT SERVICE light

I hooked up an Iphone Interface to my stereo, however I never unhooked the negative battery cable when i dismantled the climate control/stereo. Now im faced with the problem of SRS URGENT SERVICE warning. I know I'm correct in my understanding that a dealer visit or other Volvo friendly shop is in order to reset this as there is no way to reset the system with out proper code reader diagnosis, but will the light switch off eventually on its own after a certain time/distance? And is the air bag system still active during times of this warning??

Old 12-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as the ignition wasn't on when you removed anything the light should not have come on. I unplug airbags without taking the battery cable off all of the time. Did you keep the old stereo installed on the vehicle or did you put an aftermarket one in there.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:08 PM

i did turn the ignition to open use the 12v cig lighter while everything was unhooked. I put the same factory stereo back in, i just had to unhook everything when i was installing the iPhone interface( it hooks onto the antenna line ). When you unhook the climate control and stereo is trips the air bag warning system.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:55 PM

All you need to do is more than likely get the codes erased using Vida. What happened is that when you turned the ignition on the SRS control module threw a code because you interrupted the CAN network by disconnecting a control module in that network (them being the climate control module or CCM, inter grated audio module or IAM, depending if you have a screen or not the infotainment control module or ICM.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:59 PM

Will the light eventually go out after some time/distance once everything has been put back together properly?

Old 12-30-2013, 07:00 PM

I don't think the SRS control module fevers asks for a light to turn off because it it safety related. Your best bet is just go and get it erased.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:25 PM

KZS...unfortunately the light will not go off by itself, you needed either a scan tool that can read/clear SRS codes or you'll need to take the car to someone who can clear it. Anytime that you do any type of dis-assembly that involves any electrical components or connectors, you need to disconnect the battery negative terminal. I also found this out the hard way...I removed the seat to try to tighten a loose seat track and set-off the SRS light. Since then I've replaced the seat belt buckle and have had the SRS module reset by myairbags.com and my SRS light is still on...Can't bring myself to take it back to the dealership as there are too many horror stories posted about guys with the same issue and the dealership putting hundreds into the car without fixing the issue. I bought a scan tool...it just can't seem to clear code 00D0 (drivers side seatbelt) which is shown as "permanent". Good luck...

By the way, if you're looking to invest in a scan tool which will do SRS codes, you can find them on e-bay and amazon. I bought an Autel MD801 which will do most models out there including the Volvos...About $200 on e-bay.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:35 PM

Once again as long as the key doesn't get turned on when a SRS component is disconnected the light will not come back on. You disconnect the battery when taking airbags out so they don't activate.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:51 PM

I didn't turn the key on while I had the seat disconnected and the light did come on for me.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:23 PM

That weird something had to have happened. In the last 2 days I've pulled out 4 airbags and 1 seatbelt tensioner all with the battery connected with no message coming on afterwards.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:33 PM

the good thing is the airbags still work. the bad is the light is only reset at the dealer.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:19 PM

My understanding is that there is no guarantee that the airbag will trigger in an accident if the airbag light is on...I'm not sure if the same is true if only the "orange triangle" is illuminated. If someone knows for sure please share the info as I'm sure others are in the same predicament.

I can't explain why my airbag light illuminated even though the key was not turned on...my issue started with me simply unbolting the drivers seat...I didn't even pull it completely out of the car, I just disconnected the harness so I could tilt it back far enough to check the track for looseness. Stupid mistake on my part...

I wish I would have read more about the issue before I even started the job...I would have realized that I should have disconnected the battery and even more importantly, I would have learned that the "fix" for the loose seat-track is a $200 shock absorber that you can add (pretty ridiculous in my opinion...should have been a recall item) . I would have just learned to live with the loose seat. Live and learn...

Old 01-06-2014, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Tubotato
KZS...unfortunately the light will not go off by itself, you needed either a scan tool that can read/clear SRS codes or you'll need to take the car to someone who can clear it. Anytime that you do any type of dis-assembly that involves any electrical components or connectors, you need to disconnect the battery negative terminal. I also found this out the hard way...I removed the seat to try to tighten a loose seat track and set-off the SRS light. Since then I've replaced the seat belt buckle and have had the SRS module reset by myairbags.com and my SRS light is still on...Can't bring myself to take it back to the dealership as there are too many horror stories posted about guys with the same issue and the dealership putting hundreds into the car without fixing the issue. I bought a scan tool...it just can't seem to clear code 00D0 (drivers side seatbelt) which is shown as "permanent". Good luck...

By the way, if you're looking to invest in a scan tool which will do SRS codes, you can find them on e-bay and amazon. I bought an Autel MD801 which will do most models out there including the Volvos...About $200 on e-bay.
see this thread Other S60 Problem: - S60 srs fault code 00d1 perm - Volvo Owners Club Forum

Old 01-06-2014, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I never disconnect the battery when doing anything except a starter or an alternator and I've never had the SRS light come on after something like this. Tubotato is correct though, there is no guarantee the SRS system will function properly.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:51 PM

I bought an Autel619 and was able to reset the SRS warning. I was going to take it to the dealer but didn't justify the $153 they wanted, especially since I knew there were no issues with the system. This is a great investment !

Old 01-17-2014, 02:48 PM

Good Deal...I looked at the 619 but bought the MD801 as it covered more makes and models...It's nice not being at the mercy of the dealership for everything. That's one thing that ticks me off about the Volvo...

Old 06-29-2019, 02:12 PM

Still bashing on with the 2002 V70 SRS problem, Autel 619 does a good job resetting the codes but 00D0 and 00D1 are still there and I understand that this is possibly a CEM problem, is disconnecting the battery and after a while touching + and - cables for 10 seconds to way to clear it?, (seat belt buckles) the seat belt warning light goes out when I plug the buckle in so there IS a signal..

The SRS part I have sussed, and the resistor (2.2 Ohm) sorts out the "Resistance too low" but then there is the "Capacitance too high" problem, I bought SRS air bag emulators for Volvo but they DO NOT have the 104 and 456 Caps in so still get the "Capacitance too High".

Are the capacitors in the plug on the SRS lead to the airbag rather than in the car part?

Is there a number of resets that can be done before the unit cries 'enough' and blocks further attempts?

How about connectiong the airbag to the car instead of the SIPS igniter on the seat?

Last edited by Blackeagle; 07-03-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:55 AM

Anyone?

Old 07-03-2019, 09:58 AM

Deleted, thread too old

Last edited by Blackeagle; 07-03-2019 at 10:02 AM.