Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

04 S60 trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 04 S60 trans problem

Hello folks, a new member here. I am looking for sugestions with a tranny problem. I purchased an 04 S60 2.5t geartronic trans recently and have had no problems. The day before yesterday the wife was at a stop light and the car failed to move forward. It gave no indication that there was a trans problem. It had benn running and driving fine. After the second green light and a lot of honking from other cars, she shut it off and started it again. This time it moved about 30 ft and lost traction. The wife costed into the Walmart parking lot. I got off of work and went to investigate. No leaking fluid, fluid leval OK while the engine is running. It just had no movement. I was abel to see that the cabel to the shifter was moving, and that there was a slight change in engine speed when the gear selector was moved, but it would nor move. I got a tow dolly and went to load it. This time it moved about 20 feet in reverse and lost traction.
This car has 200000 miles on the body but the engine and trans were replaced at about 100000 miles. I was planning on diong the trans oil change out with the IPD kit. I have not purchased a code reader yet to see what if any codes were thrown. I will be doing that this week. Any thoughts: trans,valve body, fluid change, low on fluid or I am blind.

Last edited by mbartosiak; 02-21-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 AM

good luck...ive been trying to get help on this site for over a week now and even sent a private pm to a senior memer and got no response. im in the exact same boat you are in except mine is an 01..

Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 AM

I hope it's not what happened to my wife's 2005 s60 2.4.....First indication was coolant was a little low...Added a few times, then one day, no problems before, The car slipped out of gear after stopping at a light. It went into limp mode. Had her shut it off, back on, and it went another 30 ft. Saw that the coolant looked off color...brownish? The transmission is cooled by the coolant, just as the engine is. In the radiator, the two (transmission fluid and coolant) come very close to each other. The two fluids had mixed together as a result of a faulty radiator! The correct fix is a new radiator, new transmission, new water pump, new hoses, engine flush, etc. Because it was all contaminated, all had to be replaced! Her car was bought as a "Demo" used, with an extended Warranty. (extra year). It was 1 month before expiration. All was covered....5-7 grand!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:46 AM

Thanks. I never thought about looking at the coolant. I had replaced the head gasket about 6 months ago. All has been fine, but I will look.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 AM

I checked the overflow tank and saw no indication of trans fluid mixing. I bought a code reade and used it last night. No trans related faults showed up. It was suggested to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and let the ECUs reset themselves. Any thought on this?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:35 PM

I have the same problem. SEVERE clunk from 1st to 2nd. and now a fault that preventing the car from passing the california smog test.

Help?!?!

Old 02-27-2013, 06:22 PM

Be happy your coolant isn't discolored! I noticed mine when I took the cap off on the radiator looking for green, and it was brownish...Whatever your problem is, it won't be as extensive as mine.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by mcsleeper
I have the same problem. SEVERE clunk from 1st to 2nd. and now a fault that preventing the car from passing the california smog test.

Help?!?!
McSleeper, that sounds like a valve body issue. You could try replacing the B4 servo, doing a flush, and doing a flash update on the TCM, and that might resolve your issues, but most likely the valve body will need to be rebuilt.

The transmission itself is built like a tank, but the valve bodies on those 2001s have issues. That also means it is fairly easy to come across rebuilt units. You can even rebuild it yourself. There are kits available. I recently replaced mine with a rebuilt unit I purchased online, and sent my unit in for a bit of money back so that they can keep rebuilding. After updating the TCM, I was up and running.

If you want to have a mechanic take care of it, using an indie Volvo guy might be the best way to go. They are used to replacing those valve bodies and know exactly where to get the right rebuilt units. I wouldn't spend over $1400 on the whole project though. If they want more than that, then you can probably find someone who doesn't or make an offer.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by mbartosiak
I checked the overflow tank and saw no indication of trans fluid mixing. I bought a code reade and used it last night. No trans related faults showed up. It was suggested to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and let the ECUs reset themselves. Any thought on this?
I am not sure if yours is valve body related. It seems that you would be seeing some sort of codes. If there is no flairing, hard shifting, etc, your issue could be entirely TCM related, or related to the traction control system. Question. When you lose power, does the skidding car icon light up? I am occasionally having the same issue, and haven't resolved it yet, but hope to find the solution quickly.

Best of luck!

Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Can your code reader communicate with the TCM? A lot only communicate with the ECM

Old 02-28-2013, 01:24 PM

Talking to the wife she did ay there were some minor shifting issues from time to time, but nothing that stands out. There were no trans codes and my reader will not read them. There have been no warning lights on the dash according to the wife. I guess the best bet it the trans shop for a proper diaignosis and more likely a rebuilt trans.