Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2001 S60 Surging feel while driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 S60 Surging feel while driving

Hello,

My 2001 S60 T5 (195K) tends to surge at speeds north of 40 mph. Its enough to be an annoyance on what's been a fine driving car. Its a constant surging. Occasionally, I let off on the gas at those speeds and can see the RPM increase a bit - not a huge jump, but when I'm in drive at, say 40 mph and the revs go down a bit, it will increase a bit.

When the surging happens I'll often accelerate quickly just to get rid of the surging for a minute.

It kind of feels like a fuel injector issue - but that's just a wayward guess.

Any info/help/ideas is appreciated!

Old 03-11-2015, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

do you have a check engine light on or any codes being presented?

when was the last time it had a full tune up - wires/cap/rotor/coil/filters etc? any odd behavior at highway speeds (ie sluggishness etc) or at idling or cold/hot starting? has this been going on long or just the last tank of gas?

I'd be inclined to think you could have worn plug wires or a weak coil - but it could be a fuel delivery issue. I'd start with a full ignition tune up if those parts are oil, clean the MAF and intake and then consider a new fuel pump relay, fuel filter.

If you still think its injectors, go check out RSPI's video on using engine cleaners like Seafoam...

Old 03-20-2015, 02:07 AM

you may also check you map sensor in the air pipe does your car surge at idle as well and feel like it is going in and out of gear at idle is there a change say 600 rpm to 800 if so your map sensor and or throttle body may need replacing or cleaning. Map is cheap and easy 45 to 80 dollars and easy to change the throttle body is harder and will take you 1/2 a day good luck

Old 03-21-2015, 11:17 PM

Have your ETM cleaned or worst case replaced. Take the ETM off and look at the bore and edge of the throttle plate. If it is gunked up then clean it but make sure the edge of the throttle plate is cleaned also. If it is not dirty then you might have to replace it.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:10 PM
Default Follow-up to surging/hesitating - car died

Thank you.

So I had not had a chance to fully investigate the answers below, and the hesitancy/surging at speed has continued. Until yesterday, when accelerating hard and downshifting the auto-manual from 5th to 4th it really hesitated, got loud, an odd smell came about and power and revs dropped until the car shut off. Since then, after towing the car to my house, the car starts, it idles rough, and shuts down. Every time. Occasionally it seems like it will run - and i'm goosing the gas pedal to keep the revs going - but it shuts down.

Note I have cleaned the mass airflow sensor.

Thank you!!!

Old 05-02-2015, 01:39 PM

That problem on the 19th was due to the turbo intercooler hose popping off in the front. Apparently the clamp was gone. I plugged that back on, the car started and ran. The hesitancy north of 40 mph has continued, seemed to have got worse. Then today, a pop, engine power drops, and it sounds like its running on less cylinders, loud, rough, rumbling idle, little power.

196,000 miles, 11 years and getting tired of how much this car has cost thru the years. Just about done with it, but need a running car until I find something else!

Old 05-10-2015, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by essar1
That problem on the 19th was due to the turbo intercooler hose popping off in the front. Apparently the clamp was gone. I plugged that back on, the car started and ran. The hesitancy north of 40 mph has continued, seemed to have got worse. Then today, a pop, engine power drops, and it sounds like its running on less cylinders, loud, rough, rumbling idle, little power.

196,000 miles, 11 years and getting tired of how much this car has cost thru the years. Just about done with it, but need a running car until I find something else!
Thank you for the share. Very interesting post. My 02 s60 just hit 196k this week. I have literally had to teach myself how to do most the work on this darn car. Its never anything critical like engine failure, did have a transmission slippage issue about 80k ago that is known for 01-02 Volvo owners. But the electrical quirks and having to learn how to do all the suspension work. In a similar situation myself trying to figure out what do with it.

Have the second major service approaching. The timing belt, serpentine belt, most likely tensors, idler and water pump because its easier to then then later. With the transposed engine belts are one thing I have to hand over to others.