Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2001 T5 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 T5 Issues

Hey guys, new to the forum, but have been a Volvo enthusiast for many years. I recently purchased my T5 with 120k miles on it. Had some transmission issues, but after a valve body replacement and TCM update, that fixed that problem. Now on to the rest of the issues. Hub bearing was making road noise. Replaced it. Noticed grease around the CV axle. Replaced that. When I was doing that, I noticed that the lower control arm bushing was busted on the passenger side front. The car pulls a bit to the left when breaking. Would this be the issue? On replacing the bushing, does it require a press?

The last two issues have to do with codes. It is showing a general misfire and then a misfire on cylinder 4. I am pretty sure I can resolve that issue easily. The more challenging is the cam shaft sensor is throwing a fault. My mechanic said it could be sludge and with that I would have to replace the cam shaft. Hopefully that isn't the case. He also said it could be the solenoid. Has anyone fixed this issue? Where is the cam shaft sensor solenoid located? Can it be cleaned/repaired or should it be replaced?

I am anxious to get this car humming. Is quite a bit more fun to drive than my '93 240! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 03-05-2013, 10:25 AM

Hey Rocky,

I too have an 01 S60 T5 and have done most of the stuff you're after - save the camshaft sensor - never had an issue there.

Regarding your misfire - easy items are plugs and/or coils. When I upgraded the coils to the IPD HDs + volvo plugs - all is right in the world of ignition. even @ $50/ea, the HD coils are worth it, imho.

Regarding your control arms... if you go just with the bushing, yes, you'll need a press. If you don't have access to one, replacing the control arm is pretty easy. FCPeuro.com has good prices & quick shipping on parts, and they stock the Meyle HD parts - a definite improvement over stock... though, if you go that route, I'd suggest doing both sides as the HD bushings are a little stiffer than stock.

As far as the sludge issue... there's always the seafoam-in-the-oil treatment, just before an oil change... it may help break up & evacuate any buildup. Just search the forum for a better step-by-step.

Cheers,
Ed

Old 06-19-2013, 09:04 AM

Hi Ed,

My misfire problem is a bit complicated... i change new volvo plugs, misfire at cyl 1 still ... After switching coil... misfire still at cyl 1. The below is data from VIDA after 10 minutes drive When the car in idle... i can hear the "pop ... pop.... pop... " softly...

Parameter Value
ECM-Misfire counter 49
ECM-Misfire counter 1 (5 cyl) 193
ECM-Misfire counter 2 (5 cyl) 1
ECM-Misfire counter 3 (5 cyl) 0
ECM-Misfire counter 4 (5 cyl) 1
ECM-Misfire counter 5 (5 cyl) 0
ECM-Fuel pressure 399.00 kPa

Please help to provide guideline to troubleshoot.

S60 T5 MY2005

Old 06-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Keng
Hi Ed,

My misfire problem is a bit complicated... i change new volvo plugs, misfire at cyl 1 still ... After switching coil... misfire still at cyl 1. The below is data from VIDA after 10 minutes drive When the car in idle... i can hear the "pop ... pop.... pop... " softly...

Parameter Value
ECM-Misfire counter 49
ECM-Misfire counter 1 (5 cyl) 193
ECM-Misfire counter 2 (5 cyl) 1
ECM-Misfire counter 3 (5 cyl) 0
ECM-Misfire counter 4 (5 cyl) 1
ECM-Misfire counter 5 (5 cyl) 0
ECM-Fuel pressure 399.00 kPa

Please help to provide guideline to troubleshoot.

S60 T5 MY2005
Try swapping the injector with another cylinder. Also verify that the injector is getting power and ground. If all is good there then a compression test would be a good idea.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:49 AM
Default all 5 spark plugs shown fuel lean problem

Hi ssicarman, thank you very much for your advice. It works! Intermittent misfire is gone by swapping the injector.

Another problem... could anyone advise how to troubleshoot ALL of my 5 cylinder has fuel lean problem... all 5 spark plugs are white and being justified as lean fuel by quite some volvo members and mechanics... I did change new fuel filter and took 2 bottles of Lucas injector deep clean in 3 weeks... but problem still there...

Thank you