Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

A few issues w/ my 2001 S80 2.9...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few issues w/ my 2001 S80 2.9...

Ijoined today andthis is my 1st post.

First, I lovemy car...and so do most people I drive by, lots of stares.

A few issues I have:

1) Water will occasionally leak into thecabin on the drivers side, and it is not from the window, it is higher, it leaks in right where the support beams of the body meet the roof. It is worst when using a high pressure touchless wash, but it will even happen from just rain, though that is less common. Long term is my biggest concern because I don't want tostain the interior or to allow mildew to fester.

2) If I turn too hard right or left, I get a noise that sounds like the wheels are scraping but I believe it is the power steering. One post I found said you needto lube the steering stops and it will help (though it may not eliminate the problem). Is this correct?

3) I replaced a brake light and now the "warning: break light out" warning will not go away. The headlight gave a warning too, but it went away once replaced. Is there an easy fix?

4) I also have a check engine light that's come on sinceI purchased the vehicle last year. I've never paid them too much mind when I know I maintain my vehicle, but it is a little disconcerting.

5) Snow and ice make life difficult. I bought new tires last year and there wasimprovement, but only marginal. Isthis carjust too heavy to get around well in inclement weather? I thought additional weight was a good thing in bad weather (unless you need to stop on a dime).

6) Just a general question. Other than basic maintenance, sinceI recently crested 100k, is there some good preventative maintenance I can do to keep my baby purring?

That's about it; thanks in advance for any responses.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Afew issues w/ my 2001 S80 2.9...

Whats the status of the timing belt? Has any work ever been done on it? My s80 is now 101K miles and im not sure if any timing belt work was done as I got it at 96K... Apparently there is a huge risk factor anywhere over 80k of either the belt, tensioner, idler or pulley failing and bending and damaging the valves (leading to serious work or complete engine replacement)
Otherwise just look at the filters and decide if they need changing, they dont cost particularly much so if you havent done so since you got the car, change the air, oil, cabin and possibly fuel filter..

Concerning the rubbing noise, it was me that posted that, I find that it occurs more when turning left than right but not significantly so.. I gather it isnt affecting my traction or driving really so I suspect il leave it as is untul the next time I have to take the wheels off..

Old 02-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Afew issues w/ my 2001 S80 2.9...

Oh yea, what tyres are you using on the car? That could have aloto do with it.. I know a site that has a 10% sale on snow chains for the s80 if you really need that extra traction,,
where you from? somewhere up north I assume?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Default RE: A few issues w/ my 2001 S80 2.9...

Notreally too far North...Nebraska. However,Lincoln doesn't bring out the street cleanersuntil at least 4 inches fall. If we get a little ice and then snow on top of it, forget about it. I'll drive to work and the grocery store and otherwise I try not to drive in snow any more.

Are there a good set of winter tires for the S80? I'm not positive on my tires, but 17' Toyo's ring a bell. I've never used chains, but I assume interstate driving would be a problem.

My wife's Intrepid is infinitely better on snow...lets just say that surprised me b/cI hate nearly everything else about the Intrepid.

I got mine in the upper 80's as well.

Is it a must that I get the timing belt status checked out? Sounds like it would be some good preventative maintenance. Any idea what a replacement runs at a dealer vs. non-dealer? I only ask b/c I have to drive a little over an hour to the dealer and know that they tend to be much higher for labor costs.

A cabin filter? Never heard of that.

Also, any idea's on the leak? I'm sureI found some info on it at one time (and a possible fix) but I've looked all over the net and haven't turned anything up.

Thanks[/align]

Old 02-12-2008, 01:33 PM

as far as the water leak, move the sunroof back and see if any thing is blocking the drain tubes, try to shoot a spray of compressed air down them if they are not letting water flow free, if your not sure of the condition of the timing belt and serpentine belt, get it done and get that behind you, cabin filter is easy to d.i.y., hope this helps.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:22 PM

The leak is on the drivers side only, nowhere near the sunroof.

How could that cause the leak? Curious?

Old 02-12-2008, 10:17 PM

drain tubes are used in the sunroof area to let moisture flow out , if the tubes are clogged or have pulled away they can cause this problem of moisture trying to find a way out and that means entering the interior areas of the car, also, improper front or rear glass iinstalation can let moisture enter, but as you stated its not near the glass I suggested this.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:02 AM

My Volvo Service Dept tried greasing the steering stops....no good. Last time in they replaced them for about $125. A good investment.