Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2002 S60 A/C blower issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 S60 A/C blower issues

I have a 2002 S60 that started giving me issues yesterday. On the way home from work I had the A/C on and noticed that periodically it would quit blowing, then start blowing again. It would cut out for a few seconds then come right back. As I was driving the cut out time gradually increased to the point that it cut out completely and won't come back on now. I can put my hand by the vents and feel cold air barely coming out but the blower motor does not sound like it is on. All the lights on the A/C controls and fan motor controls are functioning properly and the compressor does kick on when I turn it on. Just no air flow. Does this sound like a blower motor resistor issue or is something else going on? FYI, the blower motor wasn't making any strange sounds leading up to this failure. I am thinking resistor but most things I have read on the web have said when the resistor goes it normally still blows on high speed or something to that effect and mine isn't doing that.

I have pulled the blower motor out and am wondering if there is a way to bypass the resistor and put power straight to the motor to test the motor. I'm assuming I just pull the plug from the motor to the resistor and put a hot on one leg and a ground on the other?

Also, the 4 wire clip that plugs into the resistor has a red, black, and I think a blue and brown conductor going into it. I get 13 volts when testing between the black and red, and no volts to the other legs when the fan switch is off. When I turn the fan switch on I get 10 bolts on one of those legs and still no volts on the other. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:25 PM

Ran 12 volts to the motor tonight and the fan appears to be working fine. Is there anything else I should possibly check before shelling out the money for a new resistor?

Old 10-05-2017, 06:26 PM

I have no suggestions, but I'm also having the same issues on my 99 v70. Can you stay in touch about this? I'd be grateful to know if the new resistor solved your problem.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced my blower motor resistor the other day - my fan was inoperable for a while and then all of a sudden it came on full power during a drive. I went to shut my car off and the fan kept blowing on high. Had to pull the fuse for it to get it to stop so my battery wouldn't go dead. I ordered a resistor on ebay for $20 and swapped it out with mine and my blower works as it should now.

Old 01-03-2021, 01:51 PM
SFD

I do not know if this thread is still active but I would like to point you to the wire itself. you had the same issues I had and it’s the connector to the resistor itself. They shoot the fan if you run it for a while with the issue, you can either try have the wire itself fixed or rewire a new one