Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2003 S60 T5 - humming noise from right wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 S60 T5 - humming noise from right wheel

After a hard left turn, I hear a humming sound from the right front well for about minute or so. Is this an early warning sign that I'll need a new transaxle or something else?

I'm not sure if these are connected but
a)about 2 years ago, the spacer(s) on the right side had to be replaced to stop the tire from rubbing the well.
b)the suspension on the right side is also rather noisy and rattles quite a bit when I go over bumps. The dealership said there was nothing wrong when I had them check it.

I would appreciate any insight on what the issues could be. I am due for the 105k maintenance and it would be nice to have some ideas as to what the issue is before I get there. It would be even better if I could fix it myself before I got there

Cheers, and thanks in advance

Old 12-04-2013, 11:01 PM

Spacers?????

Are you using non-standard rims? If you are using a wider rim, this puts higher stresses on the components and you could have a wheel bearing issue.

If you jack up the car so the wheel clears the ground you can do some basic checking of stuff. First lift it by the control arm so the suspension is not extended. You can test the wheel bearing and tie rod ends.

If you hold the wheel at 12 and 6 oclock and slowly rock it top and bottom, feel for movement. If you have ANY movement at all the weel bearing is shot.
If you hold the wheel at 3 and 9 oclock and slowly rock it while watching the tie rods. If there is movement then move it very slowly. For the outer tie rod end, if the wheel moves before the steering linkage, the tie rod is worn. For the inner tie rod the wheel and linkage will move together . You can usually hear a very light thud type noise when the inner is really worn.

For the control arm, grab the wheel at 3 and 9 oclock and try to slide it front to back and look for movement in the control arm bushngs and ball joint.

For the loud noise, the top plate of the strut can fail. Same with the strut bearing assembly. If its making a banging noise the isolator on the plate could be done. If you set the car down off the jack and bounce the front you can see the plate move.

If you're over 140K miles on the suspension components, its time to take a serious look at theem.

Last edited by kwatt; 12-04-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup,what he said.

Only the spacers he is talking about is the wheel stops that are bolted to the front of the control arm. Take some bearing grease and smeer some on the front of it.

Also check your front sway bar links and check the upper spring seats. Common problems. The humming is a possible wheel bearing on it way out. All these parts are common wear items.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:04 PM

...very helpful info. Thanks a million, guys

Old 12-19-2013, 11:48 PM

According to the situation it really look like the problem in axle. I just want to guide you should visit to a good auto repair shop for fix it. I suggest you Quail Roost Tire Center, they are really helpful. Quail Roost Tire Center offer a wide range of auto repair services including Axle service, Tires change, breaks, shocks, alignment, suspension, ac service, engine service etc.