Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2003 S60 T5 very loud metal screeching noise at low speed high angle turn

Old 04-18-2019, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 2003 S60 T5 very loud metal screeching noise at low speed high angle turn

Hoping to get some suggestions on nailing down a very loud metal screeching noise which I have when at slow-ish speeds and steering angle ~50%+ to the LEFT only. Think "fingernails on a chalk board" type of constant noise but a bit more metallic. I'm nearly certain is the front-right corner and is extremely loud. I only have to be going a few MPH. Cannot navigate a parking lot without stares from everyone in a 50 yard radius.

Car otherwise drives & sounds fine. I have never noticed at higher speeds but I don't think usual to have much steering angle at speed. Right-hand turn up to full lock is perfectly fine. It is a 2003 S60 T5 MT. Left wheel bearing 1.5yrs old, right is 0.5yrs old. I'm familiar with the tire rub in the T5; mine does have this rub but only at full lock (and it is a very different sound). Serpentine belt looks fine, PS fluid OK/topped. CV boots in good shape, no tears or leaks.

I cannot reproduce when in gear and front wheels in the air turning left. Wheel has some shake when grabbing at 9 and 3 o'clock, but no shake at 12 and 6 o'clock. Shake looks like its the rack, not bearing (the DS tire moves when doing the 9/3 shake test).

My guess is the half-shaft (CV), maybe rack? I also just read that shaft splines can be an issue. I might try the spline "lube" trick, but generally doesn't seem like this would generate the noise I'm hearing. I'm also familiar with the type of noise bearings make and this doesn't seem like a wheel bearing, though I suppose it could be. Any thoughts to other culprits and/or a way to definitively figure out which part it is?

[edit: more info] - When test driving, if I sneak up to 50% steering angle, it starts to make the noise and gets louder very quickly as i slowly increase the angle past this. The initial noise is somewhat loud and just a bit more angle gets it really loud.

Last edited by keeena; 04-18-2019 at 02:01 PM. Reason: More info
Old 04-18-2019, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Brake related? ie did you look at the brake backing plate to see if anything is pressing on it? did you look to see if the steering rack is secured? wondering if its moving up/down and rubbing on anything in the motor. What happens if you pop into neutral and coast through the noisy turn? I assume you inspected the CV joint boots etc. Normally I'd expect clicking.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:27 AM

Those are some good things to double-check. I'll try coasting through the turn, but pretty sure it does it when clutch is in. I don't believe it's related to brakes - I gave those a look and appeared OK. I also believe it does it if I gently ride the brakes when in a slow, high-angle turn.

This morning it made the noise when I was barely moving. It's almost like the steering rack or pump is the issue vs. something moving at the axle/wheel. I'd think if a moving part of the axle/wheel, the noise wouldn't be exactly same volume at just 1-3mph.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

If its the rack/pump moving around, you should be able to see some movement with the car still. See anything with the car in park, engine running turning lock to lock?

Old 04-22-2019, 01:31 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

The rack/tie rod movement needs to be corrected, whatever the cause.

My guess about the sound is that the brake backing plate is being pushed into the rotor.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:07 AM

mt6127 - I did try coasting in the turn as well as slightly giving some brake pressure; noise was still there, no change. I also revisited brakes - nothing amiss there. Unable to find the cause: I sent it to the shop. They initially were a bit stumped so they swapped the wheel bearing. No dice. Ultimately they swapped the axle and this fixed the problem.

As noted, the CV wasn't blown out but the magic inside apparently was giving up the ghost and only showed up at higher steering angles. First time I've heard of an axle/CV causing this type of noise, so good thing to file away as a possible symptom? I did some more searching online and still couldn't find any cases of this. Oh well! In hind-sight I should have grabbed the old axle and torn it apart to see what the CV looked like.

Time to follow-up with the slop in the rack!

Old 04-26-2019, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

yep the axle has two joints in it - most people are familiar with the outer CV joint and boot but there's also an inner joint. Shops like to keep the old axles for core replacements... check this out - and you don't need to get your hands greasy...