Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 S60 washer not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 S60 washer not working

Hi All
have a 2012 S60 1.6tdi and the washer has stopped working but the headlight washer does work. Ive swapped out one of the headlight washer pipes with the main washer pipe so at least every 5 pulls on the stalk it jets the windscreen.
All fuses ok(f9 by the looks of it)
Relay working but this is where Im confused. If I measure voltage with the relay out Im getting 12v at pins 86 and 87 but 0 at pin 30( numbers correspond to relay but in fuse box). I think pin 30 should have 12v and then 87 after signal from source(stalk) but not 100% on this. Im starting to think the fault lies in the CEM but again not 100%
Has anyone had this issue before or can explain to me how it all works. Ive attached a picture of the relay in case Im looking at it wrong( when i refit it ,it energizes straightaway

Thanks in advance

Old 01-22-2023, 02:48 PM
Received 586 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by fazzerfootball
washer has stopped working but the headlight washer does work.
Relay working but this is where Im confused.
That is your headlamp washer relay. The windshield washer relays are built into the CEM, labled 2/92 and 2/93. There are 2 fuses for the front washer pump on the CEM - 9 and 10. Are both those fuses good? If so with a good scan tool you could power the washer pump from the tool (screen shot below) - Or without access to a tool like that - check for 12v between fuses 9 and 10 when activating the wash switch. (yes one test lead on 9 and another on 10, will give you 12 volts when activated if relays, switch and com signals are good) I'd bet it's wired like that so that CEM can be used in a car with a rear washer system. In those cars the pump spins one way to spray the front and spins the other to spray the rear. Those two relays wired like that would do that. Or check for 12v at the pump. Pump part number is included on the wiring page.

Old 01-22-2023, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by hoonk
That is your headlamp washer relay. The windshield washer relays are built into the CEM, labled 2/92 and 2/93. There are 2 fuses for the front washer pump on the CEM - 9 and 10. Are both those fuses good? If so with a good scan tool you could power the washer pump from the tool (screen shot below) - Or without access to a tool like that - check for 12v between fuses 9 and 10 when activating the wash switch. (yes one test lead on 9 and another on 10, will give you 12 volts when activated if relays, switch and com signals are good) I'd bet it's wired like that so that CEM can be used in a car with a rear washer system. In those cars the pump spins one way to spray the front and spins the other to spray the rear. Those two relays wired like that would do that. Or check for 12v at the pump. Pump part number is included on the wiring page.

thanks for the reply,ill have a go this week and ppst my findings

Old 01-22-2023, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by hoonk

thanks for the reply,ill have a go this week and ppst my findings

Old 01-23-2023, 01:49 AM

Can you just clarify, the relay in the picture is from underneath the glove box and slso covered by a plastic cover, there is another relay above it, are these for the lights washers or the main washer

Thanks

Old 01-23-2023, 09:39 AM
Received 586 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by fazzerfootball
Can you just clarify, the relay in the picture is from underneath the glove box and slso covered by a plastic cover, there is another relay above it, are these for the lights washers or the main washer
The headlamp washer relay is under the hood as shown below (according to Volvos wiring diagram)

The front and rear windshield washer relays are built into the CEM and are not typically replaceable (they are soldered onto the circuit board) The windshield washer relays are inside the dotted line, highlighted by the green box. the dotted line means everything inside the box - is mounted on/in the CEM. For this circuit - the 2 relays and the 2 fuses.

"covered by a plastic cover, there is another relay above it, are these for the lights washers or the main washer" - below is a diagram of what I think you are asking about - I've not researched what those relays do - so I can't answer that - but they are not shown on the windshield washer page, or the headlamp washer page.

Old 01-23-2023, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the reply, i will try what you said originally and let you know the outcome, should be in a couple of days

Old 01-25-2023, 08:43 AM

just tried voltage across f9 and f10, got 0, also tried putting one probe on negative side of battery and then measured both fuses whilst pulling stalk and again got zero.
i can hear a relay clicking when the stalk is being pulled. Im a little lost now.im thinking possibly CEM but im open to suggestions