Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2018 V90 Cross Country: Buy New, Go Long?

Old 04-12-2018, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 V90 Cross Country: Buy New, Go Long?

Hey all:

I'm looking for the next long runner. My '99 MB E350 4matic wagon is at 310K and rust is getting to be a real problem. I've been looking at a new 2018 V90 CC. How are the Volvos long term? Is corrosion a problem? I'm in Chicagoland area and the cars generally sit outside year round.

I am a meticulous maintainer and sometime DIY'er. Thankfully, I know my limitations and let the pros do their thing when I'm out of my depth. I understand that a well-built, properly cared for car will last a long time.

I know Volvos tend to depreciate quickly, but I'm not concerned about trading it in. I want to drive it into the ground.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are a DIY'er, why on earth would you consider buying a brand new car?
Buying new is literally throwing money away. Worst "investment" known to man... I'll NEVER buy a new car again.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the advice. Remember that, unless you're involved in buying and selling classic cars, buying a car is not an investment, it's an expense. And while depreciation can seem substantial when buying new, it's only substantial if you plan on selling the car. If you plan on driving your purchase into the ground, it can be a great way to get the vehicle you want if it's carefully purchased and maintained.

But what I was asking for was not money advice, but rather if the purchase of a new Volvo would give me that platform to "go long", and own a vehicle that I could put 300K miles on. That's why I came to this forum of individuals who are knowledgable about the V60, having supposedly owned and maintained them.

Last edited by avidtb; 04-13-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:52 PM

There are plenty of high mileage Volvos on the road; many with 300k miles or more. The question is will the current models , specifically the new V90, last that long? And the simple answer is nobody can guarantee it. But based on the history and track record of Volvo your chances are very good that a V90 will last as long as previous models and will deliver many, many miles. But I think you already knew that.

If you love the looks and it drives well, then go for a killer deal on last year's V90...the 2019s are on their way to dealer showrooms and Volvo should be offering nice discounts on 2018s.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:36 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

There is no financial argument that can justify buying a new car. You can take an older one, change the engine, transmission, differential several times and still be under the cost of new.

You can "go long" in any vehicle that is maintained and repaired as needed.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:25 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tony1963
There is no financial argument that can justify buying a new car. You can take an older one, change the engine, transmission, differential several times and still be under the cost of new.

You can "go long" in any vehicle that is maintained and repaired as needed.
Agree. Considering a new car is a highly depreciable asset, one would find it difficult to state a found financial argument for purchasing a new car. However, for some, such as I, some sense can be made. For me, purchasing my 2020 V90 Inscription, made to my exact specifications, the purchase made sense. I am retired and plan to keep this car for 12 to 15 years. The car suits my comfort, safety and storage needs, exactly. At my age, this may be the last "touring" car I ever purchase. Owning a car that I can properly break-in and care for, from day one, is something that is very important to me. Fortunately, at least for me, the expense was not an issue.

At the end of the day, each may decide how best to spend their funds. I'm sure that many a boat owner would be hard pressed to justify their boat ownership from a financial standpoint, but love the opportunity it affords to enjoy being with family and friends. My V90 enables my wife and I to travel in an extremely comfortable and safe manner, during our long distance trips to visit family and friends. This is priceless to us.