Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Alarm Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm Question

Hi all,

I noticed that most cars that come with an Alarm, they either beep or make a certain sound while flashing the car's lights when locking or unlocking the doors. Now I like very much to have that sound on my car because at a very strong day light I cant tell if the doors are locked or not untill I manually try to open them .Is there any way to do that without buying extra equipments? Also how does the alarm work? I never tried to use it and I live in a crowded place where I really don't want to test it.
Also what's the yellow key for? is it only for turning the lights on?
Here's a pic of the keyless remote.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Alarm Question

almared6,
With my '01 I don't get anything more than the lights flashing when I use the key fob to lockup. It won't beep the horn in confirmation like most domestics. From what I've read about the factory alarm system, it is automatically set when you use the key fob to lock, and is deactivated with the unlock of the fob, or using the key. Also, models equipped will have an led in the center-front dash. When set, it will flash once per second; when off it will not flash; when it has been triggered, will flash rapidly. You can check your model by locking up, then pulling up on the door lock pin. If your car is equipped with the factory alarm, it will sound off. Stop the alarm with the unlock button or key the door.

I noticed that your key fob does not have the red panic button at the bottom (looks like a triangle). Maybe not equipped on your vehicle. And the yellow button is the courtesy lights, for locating the car in a heavily crowded lot or something. So, check for the led on the dash. Try setting off the alarm, perhaps in a parking lot somewhere.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:29 PM

fast reply as always . Thank you very much.

I'll try to test the car and yes I have a small LED on the dashboard. I'll test the alarm soon but until I find a good opportunity.

Anyway, I still have only question which should be easy to answer I think. How do I open the trunk without using the remote? When I unlock the car the trunk doesn't get unlocked too unlike my Peugeot. Now what are all the ways of opening the trunk? I'm sorry for asking these simple questions but I got a German manual with the car.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your model may have come equipped with a trunk lock button located in the instrument panel below the climate controls.The buttonwill look like a key pointing toward the back of the car. This feature disables the trunk from unlocking with the rest of the car. With the key in the ignition, check to see if the light is on. If so, simply press the button to turn it off. Another way is to key the door twice, which should unlock all the doors plus the trunk. One other way is to use the 'emergency lock' located behind the plug on the trunk lid. Open the trunk lid as follows: Insert the master key into the upper part of the plug covering the lock. Twist upward to remove the plug. Unlock the trunk lid.

With the key fob you can unlock the trunk in two ways: press the trunk button twice to release it or press the unlock button twice to unlock all the doors plus the trunk.

Sorry to hear that your manual is in German. You can access an online version through this link http://www.volvocars.us/tools/OwnersInfo/
Registration is simple and it only takes 2 minutes. Once done you have access to many useful pages.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:40 PM

Again a very fast reply. Thank you very much 01_fast_ride. I think from now on I'll just press the key twice as you said to unlock the trunk since there's no a manual way to open it from inside the car. About the button, I couldn't find any button that matches your description and I have only three buttons under the climate control; one for the closing the mirrors; the other two are for something related to security I guess because when I press them they either say full Guard or Full Guard is off (something like that).

Anyway, thank you again and I'll try to explore the alarm and the trunk and I also post some photos of the buttons and maybe of the car