Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Alternator Question - '04 2.5T AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Question - '04 2.5T AWD

Hi...

I've parsed the Forum, but haven't found the answer to my question, so, here goes.

I need to replace the alternator on one of my S60's. Year, model, etc. is easy to do. However, now the supplier wants to know if I have a free-wheeling pulley or not.

My question for everyone is...How in heck do I figure out if I need the alternator with/without the free-wheeling pulley? There seems to be no visible difference between the two. Does it even matter?

I'd like to resolve and replace the part as soon as possible. Its still winter here in Canada and I would rather drive the AWD instead of one of my summer cars. I tend to avoid the stealership as much as possible. This one part costs much more than double if from the dealer.

Please, help me be cheap, independent and happy. Anyone know the answer?

Cheers,

I Roll in Canada

Old 03-19-2009, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by I Roll in Canada
Hi...

I've parsed the Forum, but haven't found the answer to my question, so, here goes.

I need to replace the alternator on one of my S60's. Year, model, etc. is easy to do. However, now the supplier wants to know if I have a free-wheeling pulley or not.

My question for everyone is...How in heck do I figure out if I need the alternator with/without the free-wheeling pulley? There seems to be no visible difference between the two. Does it even matter?

I'd like to resolve and replace the part as soon as possible. Its still winter here in Canada and I would rather drive the AWD instead of one of my summer cars. I tend to avoid the stealership as much as possible. This one part costs much more than double if from the dealer.

Please, help me be cheap, independent and happy. Anyone know the answer?

Cheers,

I Roll in Canada
I just replaced the alternator in my 2004 S60 2.4L and just gave the parts places I searched the vehicle year/model and it only came up with one alternator........no one asked me about a "free wheeling pulley". You can just pull up online Volvo auto parts suppliers and put in your vehicle info and you'll see no option for a "free wheeling pulley" from what I recall a couple weeks ago. I ended up buying the part from my local Advance Auto Parts store and only paid $268 after getting the $85 for the core return........and it comes with a Life-time warranty.......if it ever fails Advance Auto will replace free. Check out my posting on the Serpentine Belt replacement if you need some help on removing and reinstalling the belt.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the info. I've already checked into your description of the belt arrangement. Mucho thanks for that post!

Being in Canada often brings minor changes to vehicles, hence the reason for my original post. My search for the part has brought me 3 possible alternators from the same supplier. I can choose from 2, 120 amp models,w/wo the freewheeling pulley and 1, 140 amp model that doesn't mention the pulley. I believe my alternator is a 120 amp, so that narrows it down a touch.

I have to buy the part from a Canadian supplier, else I'll pay a whack of money to the government for the right to import the blasted thing.