Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anti Skid Light and ABS Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 04:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti Skid Light and ABS Light

So recently my brother got into an accident and had been driving my car around until my parents get him situated. So I decide to drive my S60 around when I notice when I started it that the lights turned on and I have 2 new messages saying Anti Skid temporarily turned off and get my brakes serviced. So I decided to take it by my friend to reset the codes so I can monitor it. While driving I hear a weird sound climbing from the front passenger wheel. Sounds like a suspension issue or probably a bearing issue. Not sure what it can be. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:50 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I've had a few S60 models, 2006 and 2007, where the steering angle sensor fails giving you the same results. You need to use an appropriate scan tool to read the codes, otherwise, you'd be throwing parts at it hoping and praying.

The codes will tell you if it is a steering angle sensor. If it is, not only will you need the software to read and clear the codes, your software must be able to calibrate the new sensor.

Old 08-11-2018, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

did you pull the wheel off to inspect? a wonky wheel sensor can set a code as well - and this can be caused by issues with the axle (such as throwing grease when the boot tears). The wheel bearing and CV joint have different signature sounds. wheel bearings tend to moan at moderate speed (ie 20-40 MPH) and the tone changes when turning left or right (ie turning left puts the load on the right wheels increasing the noise) but this can be very subtle, particularly if you have worn, noisy tires. The CV joint may present as low speed clicking but other bearings in the axle may also moan. This sound would change with power (ie quiter when coasting). Axles often go bad after the boot tears and looses grease. Suspension noises are usually creaks or thumps. typical test is to go over RR tracks or speed bumps at low speed - thumps can be strut mounts/spring seats, sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, Things like tie rod and control arm bushings usually present as loose or odd steering feel (like it feels out of alignment then not...). Since you got a warning lamp, there is a stored code to work with. not a bad idea to clear as any unfixed fault will simply reset (may take 100 miles of driving). Also note that not all code readers are equal and can read all the chassis and ABS codes.