Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any experiences with the 2012 S60?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any experiences with the 2012 S60?

Hello -

We are a long time Volvo family ('04 XC70 w/ 170K miles) and are considering adding the new S60 into the stable of vehicles.

the S40 is too small for our wants/needs and I'd like to stay away from an SUV and no longer need the cargo/carrying capacity of the wagon - and the S60 looks very sharp in it's redesign.

Not sure if there is much/any experience with this newly redesigned vehicle yet, but it bears asking.

I'm looking at the T5 (Premium, Climate, Multimedia & BLIS) and am curious if any of the major mechanical systems were upgraded/redesigned at the same time as the body. Never like to be a first model year purchaser if I can avoid it.

Any/All help/comments are appreciated.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:51 AM

I spoke with the dealer and was able to drive the car at night so I could "test" the halogen lights versus the bi-xenons which my XC70 has. All I can say, is I'll never purchase a vehicle without a NIGHT test drive - here are my findings/observations.

Some might seem like a bit nit picky, but at 36K ±, the car should be as close to 'right' as possible.

Car driven: S60 T5 w/ Premium, Climate, Multimedia

Halogens were good, bright and adequate throw @ high/low beam

Acceleration/braking were responsive and in control
It was a pleasure to drive and the children report a comfortable ride in the back seat.

Nav

* Not a bad system, but clearly not at the same level as the other car under consideration. Didn't have a chance to see if traffic alerts brought value.

* 2 map view didn't make sense - the other provided turn details upon approach and included lane positioning information. S60, in 2 map mode, did provide turn specifics, but had same view if no imminent turn and no lane guidance.

* Found it interesting that there were roads which have been in place for YEARS which the Nav system didn't know about

* Is it possible that the loaded maps/software were stale? Vehicle tested had map version 30.10.02, and S/w version. 0930
* Voice commands worked well

Dash lighting - was surprised at what I found here.... [NB - I'm a bit of a stickler for night vision preservation/glare reduction as I do a LOT of night driving and habitually have my XC70s dash lights as low as the setting will allow]

* With the instrument panel lights on "bright", there was a significant glare placed on the windshield by the bottom part of both the speedometer and the tachometer
* With the instrument panel lights on "low" - how I'd normally have them set, the instruments were hard to read due to insufficient contrast between the gauges/ indicator needles
* The NAV brightness seems to be tied into the dash lighting as well which made it a bit more challenging to see the NAV when instrument panel lights set on low
* The Compass in the Mirror seems rather bright - is there a way to dim or deactivate?

Phone Integration
* Able to upload my entire phone book - other vehicle under consideration only capable to hold 1,000 contacts. I'm in sales and have a single contact list in my Blackberry and have 3800 ± contacts.
* Lost BlueTooth sync TWICE
* integration into VOLUME control is very nice - over-rode both NAV guidance and Radio
* With NAV providing guidance, and needing to make a call, i could only see the LEFT side of NAV and it blocked the Phone screen (may be user error)

Cabin
* only 1 12V power outlet, next to drink holder
* where do I put cell phone and have it charged

My Car
* very nice control to customize the vehicle settings to match personal desires
* clock format
* triple indicator
* tilt mirror(s) @ reverse
* to name just a few

Still hoping there is purchased experience to weigh in and share feedback.

Only issue I've "'heard' so far is that the lack of spare can be a bit challenging with standard tires - it was one instance from a very vocal person - anyone else have a thought on this?

Old 09-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Thumbs down I've had 2 '12's both duds & now fgoing Lemmon Law

The trans performance is horrible! MPG comb is city or less! Volvo refuses to find an issue. After having my own tech check the VIDA system. I can only explain their position is due to something much larger that they don't want known. I should also mention I was the 1st personal to have the car die @ 70 4 different times on 2 cars. Both died just over 300 miles old. The recall came out 3 months later in June. I think the fix for the fuel pump screwed up the trans programing. My car has 13k on it & the trans feels like my Saab with 90k on it. Not a car you want to own! Volvo has issues that they need to sort out. They're aware & not saying anything about it. Beware!

Old 10-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Default at 3000 mi radio stopped working

I bought my 2012 T5 S60 August 3, 2011. Yesterday (10/20/11) I was doing errands and listening to radio and had my phone connected to the bluetooth as I always do. I stopped at an ATM to get some cash and when I got back into the car the radio did not work, none of the steering wheel buttons except for the scroll dial worked and none of the buttons on the console keypad worked either. This included the TEL button so I had to use my cell phone while parked so as not to get a ticket. I turned the car off, got out, locked and then unlocked it and got back in and re-started it thinking it might reset. I repeated this 3 times to no avail. I called the dealer and they told me to bring the car in today. Then I droe to the grocery store, shopped and when I got back in the car the radio, steering wheel buttons and console keypad buttons were all working again. I have not driven yet today so am crossing my fingers that it will work, but it is very disconcerting and I don't feel I can rely on it now. Anyone else have this experience?