Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Arming the Alarm???

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Arming the Alarm???

Is there a way to program the alarm to beep the horn when arming the alarm/central locking? My VW does this, as do most cars, and it is nice to have an audible confirmation that it is locked/armed.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have standard factory car alarm, all turn signal lights should flash once the minute the alarm is on

Old 10-02-2009, 07:43 AM

They do light up but I would like an audible confirmation that the alarm is armed. I was hoping there might be a way with a jumper or a different relay.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:26 AM

hmmm, i'll look into it

Old 10-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Default Exterior light flash when arming alarm: Can it be disabled/enabled by owner?

I didn't want to start a new thread for a very similar question so...

Vehicle: Stock 2004 S60 w/OEM alarm

I've had the car about 2 months and up until about 1 week ago it always briefly flashed the exterior lights when arming the alarm with the remote.

Recently, I get no light flash feature when I enable the alarm. The alarm is armed as I get the brief, continuous red LED flash on the center dash indicator and the alarm does trigger and sound the horn if I simulate a forced entry.

I've searched online and in the manuals but cannot find any reference as to why the alarm light-flash feature has gone away. All of the lights operate normally otherwise but without the light flash I really have to listen closely to be sure I have locked the vehicle as I exit. If I can't get a horn beep (as the first NC S60 was requesting) I would at least like the light-flash feature to be functional.

Is there a key fob sequence that enable and disables this feature? I know on other cars I can enable/disable the horn beep or lights flash but I can't find out if my Volvo has this option and I accidently changed it somehow.

When the light-flash feature doesn't work is that a clue that something else is wrong (like the onboard backup battery needs replaced or maybe an entry sensor is not reporting in to the computer and a protected zone is being bypassed)?

Thanks.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Angry

Great question(s) about the no audible confirmation.

Every other car I have had over the last um-teen years would beep when I locked/armed the alarm.

I have had my 2006 S60 for a little over a month now and have read the manual (really read it) several times. Nothing in it about an audible alarm armed confirmation.

Here is another question.

Why in Gods name when you turn off the car pull the key and exit the car with the lights set to the 10:00 position (daytime running lights on) does it not chime?

Thats just nuts... I pretty much drive with the headlights on all the time now because those automaticly go off when the key is pulled.

Silly Sweeds!

Old 10-20-2009, 10:28 PM

Most common reason for the lights not flashing is that the hood is not completely latched. The sensor on it is touchy. Open the hood and close it firmly. Hopefully this will cure the problem.

I miss the horn beep to, but I just listen for the loud thud/crunch from the locks. You can hear both my cars lock from 20 feet away!

Old 10-21-2009, 07:22 AM

1) if your lights are not flashing then your hood is almost definitely open
2) no - there is no way to get an audible confirmation other than the locks slamming

Old 10-21-2009, 03:39 PM

Thanks to MN2.5T and Bender for being "spot on" with the diagnosis.

I checked all the door and the trunk switches again last night but didn't realize there is also a switch on the hood. The hood was closed but a good firm drop from 2' shook it up and I had the lights flashing again for one or two tries. It stops working almost immediately so I guess it's time to look at the hood switch.

You would think that with all the pre-programmed messages that the computer likes to share that they would have also included...
"Dude! Your hood is not latched!"

Old 10-21-2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by NC S60
Is there a way to program the alarm to beep the horn when arming the alarm/central locking? My VW does this, as do most cars, and it is nice to have an audible confirmation that it is locked/armed.
I'm guessing that all Volvos are this way because I don't get an audible confirmation on my S40 either...I wonder why Volvo decided not to have one?

My locks aren't noisy so I'm stuck looking back at the car when I lock it. Oh well.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:59 PM

Saabs dont do it either - maybe nuisance noise laws in the motherland?

Old 10-25-2009, 09:42 AM

I just bought a '04 S60 2.5 & thought this was an alarm issue as I'm getting an "Alarm Maintenance" message on the dash. It really bugged me at first, but glad to know its quiet by design.

I also wonder why the doors don't automatically lock when I start the car. It's like an open invitation to car jack me.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:13 PM

well if you are getting an alarm maintenance message in the status window then you ARE still having an issue.

get to the dealer.

Almost NO cars auto lock when you start the car...

Old 01-09-2010, 01:48 PM

The reason that Volvo alarms don't bleep on arming is becuase in Europe cars just don't bleep. They used to in the 1980s and people found it annoying, so these days only aftermarket alarms bleep. Personally I REALLY want mine to bleep and on other cars like my Mercedes you can programme the alarm to bleep (although on the mercedes it is actually a case of de-programming the siren).

Old 01-09-2010, 05:24 PM

P.s, You can have it programmed by your dealer to lock the doors automatically. Most modern cars in Europe can be programmed to do this, and ALOT do it as standard. However Volvo don't really like you doing it as unless there is an airbag deployment when you crash, the doors would remain locked and hinder any help from outside. In some markets however it is too unsafe to ever drive without the doors locked (Africa/Former soviet states), so it is available as an option. I've had it set in one of my S60's the other already had it.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:32 PM

Just a few hours ago I was complaining about how the lights don't flash when I lock my doors (joking about returning the car). Came on here and saw this thread... went out and slammed my hood shut. Voila! Much happier now.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Default audible alarm signal

In the 2003 S60 manual, page 75, it says "An audible alarm signla is given by a battery powered siren. One alarm cycle lass for 25 seconds". Does this suggest that there is "audible confirmation" in S60 when pressing "lock" on the remote? I have 2003 S60 and never got "audiblle alarm" signal (so disappointed). I wish this is not a congenital disorder of Volvo's.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 PM

I Friend of mine has a crossfire, which is basically a Mercedes SL.. V8 and it has the same problem. there is no audible tone notification when the alarm is armed or disarmed. so.. in a crossfire forum there is a 7 dollar why to add a $5.99 chirp piece from radio shack plus 6 inches of solid wire and made his car chirp. I helped him do it this weekend and it sounded great. He basically added a parallel chirp to the keyless entry lights relay as listed here.. . Does the S40 have such a relay. after about an hour looking under the hood and reading over the fuse box cover, i wasnt confident that i would be looking for the correct relay.
I bought what he bought from radio shack and if i cant get anyone with knowledge about this to respond Ill just start trying it myself.
its basically added to the prongs of the relay that controls the parking lights when the alarm is armed.. etc.. have a look and lets figure something out.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:13 PM

God bless the internet...and the Volvo Forums. I've been trying to figure out why my lights didn't flash anymore when I lock the car. It was the hood switch. I also learned how to turn on the autolock feature so the car locks when I drive off.

Good lookin' out!