Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Bad Axles and Motor Mounts 2001 S60 2.4T

Old 04-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Axles and Motor Mounts 2001 S60 2.4T

First and foremost, gotta thank you guys for helping me diagnose my last issue with my turbo. Got it changed successfully.

New Issue:

Recently, for the past two months, I have noticed a vibration when accelarating on the freeway. Took the car to a mechanic known as Leo at Signal Hill Foreign Auto in Long Beach. He told me that 2 motor mounts were broken, the top and the right motor mounts. Additionally, he said the axle boots on both the front right and fron left axels were broken.
Question1: What is more important to address, motor mounts or axle boots?
Question 2: 2 seperate mechanics have told me if I am going to replace the axel boots, then I should just replace the whole axle. Should I do this?
Question 3: I'm a college student and my paid internship is almost over. If I am only planning to keep the car for another year, should I get all of these parts used from a European auto parts yard instead of rebuilt or new?

Old 04-21-2014, 12:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firstly, the mechanics diagnostic is a little vague so to speak. I would guess, he's replacing parts without knowing what is causing the issue.

That said, engine mounts are prone to go bad, but that doesn't necessarily affect much, if transmission shifting.

The axle boots you can check by yourself. Big black rubber covers behind each wheel. If they are cracked, they need replacing asap. If they only leak a little bit of grease at the attaching clamp, it's not so urgent.

Yes, axles can cause vibration under load, but then it will show some play in the axle. Easy to check. If the axle is shot, it's useless to only replace the boot.

However, more than often the vibration issue under acceleration is caused by lower control arm worn bushings, on Volvo. It's typical.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2001 what is the Mileage? That means a ton when it comes to deciding how to treat these things.

The Engine mount on the top is relatively easy to replace yourself if you have a Metric tool kit. There are youtube videos on it. If your mechanic is talking about the transmission mount on the bottom that is also a DIY job if you have a ramp and willing to swap out a few simple things.

As far as the boots going out. It does happen. I won't say you need to replace the CV axle. I am not a mechanic. My 02 s60 has 175k on it. I did have to replace the engine mount it was about a 20 minute job for an dummy like myself. But I have pulled the CV axle out of the knuckle by mistake when I replaced the control arms. The CV axle has not been a problem. Does not seem like a horrible DIY job. You just have to make sure that when the new boot is installed that you have plenty of grease in there with the CV Axle.

I will say as well. Since it is an 01 s60. Vibration could also be caused due to sub-frame bushings wearing out, bushings on the control arms beginning to fail. Once you get over like 140k on these cars for a California car, most of the rubber mounts begin to fail. Like always one thing always leads to another.

I didn't know jack about cars until about 3 years ago. I got sick of paying for "European Car Labor" so I started going on sites like this and watching as many videos as possible to educate myself about Volvo's. Have been able to do quite a few jobs myself I never though I would have been able to do. And I have learned enough that if I do take my car somewhere I have an idea of wtf they are talking about and what questions to ask.

Last edited by stop_at_willoughby; 04-24-2014 at 04:06 AM.