Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car just dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car just dies while driving

I just bought this car 2 months ago with 94K on it.
This is the 3rd time this has happened. So Random.
Just driving down the road...WHAM! Motor turns off, dash lights go on. SOOO DANGEROUS!
Try to restart, motor turns but nothing happens. After about 10 minutes, car starts fine, drives perfectly.
I called Volvo cause i looked into the fuel pessure sensor recall. They took my vin# and said there were no recalls on it...oh really???
No what? Take to the dealer for a proper wallet rape?
Anyone have any ideas?

Old 09-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Car just dies while driving

You need to have it checked for codes in the engine module.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Having the same problem.

I know this is an old post, but I was wondering if the solution was found because I am having a similar problem. Engine dies while driving, and if I try to start right after it dies then it wont. The engine turns and the taco meter jumps a little. But if if I wait a few minutes it starts without problem and runs fine.
Any ideas?

Old 12-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Default Me too!

I'm also having this problem. Any idea what it is? I have a 2005 s40 t with 92000 miles.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Default Stevox

I had a problem with my 2003 S60R doing the same thing over a period of several months and appeared to be getting progressively worse. It eventually stood me up on the highway. I did have a fault code coming up occasionly but it did not seem related to the symptoms when they were happening in real time. (Eg. The engine fault light would come on occasionally, but only when I started the engine. Never when the car was actually experiencing hiccups!)The garage I went to did not have a proper Volvo diagnostic setup, so they could only read it as a generic code (sorry I can't remember exactly what it was now) and we were not sure the code displaying really was related to a real fuel supply problem. I continued to drive the car usually only on short 25 km runs to work. The car would occasionally run rough for a couple of seconds (with no fault light showing) as it warmed up enroute and then seemed to drive on OK. One day I travelled a bit further than usual and on this particular day the engine bay had a chance to really get warm. This was the day it cutout the engine completely, right outside a sewerage treatment plant to boot!! I waited on the rather smelly roadside for about 20 odd mins before the RACQ Service arrived and tried several unsuccessful restarts before deciding to truck the car to my local garage, where we hooked up their fault code tester. It said high fuel pressure sensor alarm code had triggered. After cooling down on its way to the garage the car actually restarted after we ran the diagnostic test. The fault was thus intermittent and seemed to be heat sensitive. I live in tropical Queensland Australia, so for you guys in cooler climes, the heat thing may be less of a factor!

We bit the bullet and pointed the finger at a suspected faulty high pressure fuel sensor, right on the top of the engine. One was subsequently ordered and fitted. I am pleased to say the car has not missed a beat since. Cost???... about AUD $294 for the sensor and 1hr labour to fit. My advice is if you are still driving the car and have the same type of fault, if it's this sensor the chances are it will eventually fail badly, probably when you least want it to. I was lucky I was not in heavy traffic when the fault occured and was able to limp to the side of the road safely.

But all good now!!
stevox

Originally Posted by baddi
I know this is an old post, but I was wondering if the solution was found because I am having a similar problem. Engine dies while driving, and if I try to start right after it dies then it wont. The engine turns and the taco meter jumps a little. But if if I wait a few minutes it starts without problem and runs fine.
Any ideas?

Last edited by Stevox; 12-15-2010 at 01:51 AM. Reason: improve accuracy
The following users liked this post:
minajahan (07-08-2023)
Old 12-15-2010, 06:22 AM

The ignition key unit is faulty. I had the same condition with my honda and it turns out to be the ignition key unit. After changing it no problem

Old 12-21-2010, 10:42 AM

I found out that it was the relay for the fuel injection. Either replace it or resolder it and clean the contacts.

The following users liked this post:
minajahan (07-08-2023)
Old 01-24-2012, 01:15 AM
Default I have same problem, 2001 V70XC

So should i replace all the above, a tad expensive. It does have an srs warning but no engine issues other than like STEVOX, very occasionally, when i start it will show engine light for a minute then go out, no codes though!
Normally runs great, however once a month or so just dies when driving and will turn over well but no fire at all. I was thinking immobilizer but that would not do it when it is driving i don't think.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:37 PM
Default Mine just did the dying while driving thingy, and threw IMMOBILIZER

Was driving my 2002 S60 2.4t on highway at about 75mph and after I turned off the cruise control I felt the car go limp. Pulled over and seen the tach at idle, so OK I took back off into traffic. Then when I was ramping off, the car died again. Didn't notice whether IMMOBILIZER flashed on or not. This time a crankin would only geta sputterin'. So called the AAAs and after 45 mins awaitin' they gave me some gas. I WAS at about an 8th or less of a tank, but I have takener into the red zone, ones't. Anyway, it started and took me home that last mile. (I did stop on the way and phillered up and it atookin 13.45 US gallions, so plus the 1 gal from the AAAs minus the 21 US gal capassity, I musta had say 6 whole gallons in the tank. So i was NOT outta gas. Now I'z wondering whatst next? Just dropped 13 hunnerd in the brake modulator and its seems that evertime I get'er back from the deeeeler, sumptin eltz goes awry! Help?

Last edited by RjsS60; 03-20-2016 at 09:38 PM. Reason: added yr model
Old 06-30-2023, 02:34 AM

Hi I am facing the same problem with my Volvo S60 D5 Diesel, how did you manage to fix this issue? Please share. I really need help.

Old 06-30-2023, 06:58 AM
Received 88 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by syed
Hi I am facing the same problem with my Volvo S60 D5 Diesel, how did you manage to fix this issue? Please share. I really need help.
syed, I would start your own thread. Explain your own issues, what you tried or observed. The diesels are very different from the Petrol American volvos.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dingus1
syed, I would start your own thread. Explain your own issues, what you tried or observed. The diesels are very different from the Petrol American volvos.
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...r-code-113592/