Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Computer downloads/updates and $$$$

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer downloads/updates and $$$$

I scheduled an appointment for my wifes S60 and based on some previous discussions I inquired about updating the software to "possibly" cure a shudder in the transmission when backing up. I was given 2 options by the service department for updating the computers, a modified update or a complete update to the tune of $130-150. Does this seem right? My Dodge Ram has have a couple of computer updates which the dealer performs during routine maintenance and tells me about it later at no additional cost. It seems to me that if the car is under warranty and checking / updating some software may fix the problem the dealer should take care of it.
Thanks-[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 12-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Computer downloads/updates and $$$$

If you are still under the Factory Warranty then it should be FREE

I have never heard of a charge while under warranty. If you are buying an extra remote then yes a charge. But not for a REPAIR under Warranty.

Old 12-20-2005, 01:47 AM

Tech,
We purchased the car from a dealer, it was a lease return, however, we did buy the Volvo Extended Warranty - "bumper to bumper". I was quite surprised when they told me (on the phone) that it wasn't covered. Maybe, hopefully, I'll get a different story when I take the car in on Wed.
I'll let you know...
Tim

Old 12-22-2005, 09:44 AM

So, let me get this straight. The dealer can charge more for a complete update because there's more 1s and 0s being downloaded to your car? Isn't it the same labor to hook up for a partial as it is for a complete??? Hope your warranty covers it--sounds like a SA is padding the Christmas treasury chest...

Old 12-22-2005, 11:30 AM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You had best get use to the Volvo warranty. You have the first 90 days or so and every squeak, rattle, and tiny issue is taken care of. After that Volvo only honors the "big" stuff and items such as windows not being adjusted correctly, rattles in the sun roof shade and the like are on your dime.
Reg.

ORIGINAL: Coastal

So, let me get this straight. The dealer can charge more for a complete update because there's more 1s and 0s being downloaded to your car? Isn't it the same labor to hook up for a partial as it is for a complete??? Hope your warranty covers it--sounds like a SA is padding the Christmas treasury chest...

Old 12-23-2005, 01:41 AM

Well, as an update. I had the entire software updated for $130, because my Volvo extended warranty apparently is different but the same as the Volvo Factory warranty?? And the bottom line is the shudder in my transmission when backing up a hill is STILL there, despite the technician advising he was "quite certain" it was merely a software issue. Oh well, I guess when the tranny grenades that will be covered...hopefully.
Tim

Old 03-13-2006, 09:09 PM

Funny I saw this today as I just had the rediculous charge for a full software upgrade to the tune of $150. I brought the car in because it was shifting odd. I knew the tranny fluid needed flushing so I did that as well.

What a load of bull that this is not covered under the Certified Pre-Owned warranty..So far this supposedly "full continuation" of the factory warranty that cost a good deal of $$ has proved absolutely useless! How does a manufacturer get away with this??

And then $360 for a transmission flush...lets just say I was a bit suprised when I got my bill. I hae never had a transmission fluch run more than about $150. Live and learn I guess...but I am not a happy volvo owner today

Argh[:@]

Old 03-13-2006, 10:02 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: rgbot

Funny I saw this today as I just had the rediculous charge for a full software upgrade to the tune of $150. I brought the car in because it was shifting odd. I knew the tranny fluid needed flushing so I did that as well.

What a load of bull that this is not covered under the Certified Pre-Owned warranty..So far this supposedly "full continuation" of the factory warranty that cost a good deal of $$ has proved absolutely useless! How does a manufacturer get away with this??

And then $360 for a transmission flush...lets just say I was a bit suprised when I got my bill. I hae never had a transmission fluch run more than about $150. Live and learn I guess...but I am not a happy volvo owner today

Argh[:@]
How long ago did you buy the car?

Old 03-14-2006, 10:21 AM

I've had the car for coming up on 2 years. However It was a certified pre-owned Volvo from a Volvo Dealer. it had 40k on it, now has 68k. Still well within the 100k the warranty accounts for, and the warranty expires in June of 2007. Just kinda rubs you the wrong way ya know... This S60 is by far the nicest car I have owned, however not nearly as "sound" as others.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:31 PM
Administrator

I would think also if they installed it because of a complaint you had it should be covered.
I would call the Warranty company and talk to them.

Old 03-15-2006, 06:05 PM

Agreed Tech.
I brought it in because it was hesitating a bit inbetween 1-2 gears and 2-3 gear....it's better now. I hae a call in to Volvo Customer service and if that doesn't work I will continue up the ladder.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:05 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Volvo dealer charges less than $150.00 for a trans flush. It is interesting the differences in pricing that the different dealers charge for the same services!! You are correct re: the Volvo warranty................the original warranty covers little more that major systems in the auto once it has 90 days on it! Simply incredible!
Reg

Old 03-17-2006, 01:32 PM

Well, Just got off the phone with with a Volvo rep in my area, a service manager over 3 dealerships and one of which being the one I brought my car to for the above mentioned item.

Wow, now that has to rank as the worst customer service experience I have ever had, this guy could not even complete a sentence. He basically told me because I didn't buy may car at his dealership that there were certain things that they would cover and certain things they would not for me....

Unreal. What happened to good old fashioned customer service....and over $150 they are losing a customer!
Way to go Volvo!!

Sorry for the Rant folks..very very frustrated here

Old 03-17-2006, 09:31 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: rgbot

Well, Just got off the phone with with a Volvo rep in my area, a service manager over 3 dealerships and one of which being the one I brought my car to for the above mentioned item.

Wow, now that has to rank as the worst customer service experience I have ever had, this guy could not even complete a sentence. He basically told me because I didn't buy may car at his dealership that there were certain things that they would cover and certain things they would not for me....

Unreal. What happened to good old fashioned customer service....and over $150 they are losing a customer!
Way to go Volvo!!

Sorry for the Rant folks..very very frustrated here

Sorry you are going through all the B.S.

I feel the same way.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:15 AM

Just want to confirm, is this Volvo peculiar or common practice? Is it so for the factury warranty when I buy a Volvo new?

ORIGINAL: reg

You had best get use to the Volvo warranty. You have the first 90 days or so and every squeak, rattle, and tiny issue is taken care of. After that Volvo only honors the "big" stuff and items such as windows not being adjusted correctly, rattles in the sun roof shade and the like are on your dime.
Reg.

ORIGINAL: Coastal