Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

getting message: "system will shut down in 2 minutes"

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting message: "system will shut down in 2 minutes"

Hi folks,

I have a 2013 Volvo S60 T5. When I park the car and shut off the engine, if I don't pull out the key and stay in the car, in about 30 seconds I get the message "Low Battery" on the console screen as well as the slightly more alarming message "System will shut down in two minutes," on my nav screen (see attached pics). I've taken the car to the dealership twice and they can't find anything wrong with the battery. They tell me it's because I don't drive the car enough and it's not getting a proper charge. I admit that I don't drive as much as the average person, but i drive the car every day and it gets about 6000 miles a year. I've owned several cars through the years and my last car was a 2011 Volvo C30, and despite driving these cars the same amount I've never had this kind of issue. I kind of expect a newish $32,000 car to be able to handle playing the radio for five minutes after the engine is shut off, even if it's a low mileage car. Has anyone experienced this problem and/or have any suggestions on trouble-shooting it?

Thanks for any advice,

Doug

Attached Thumbnails getting message: "system will shut down in 2 minutes"-pic1.jpg   getting message: "system will shut down in 2 minutes"-pic2.jpg  
Old 04-28-2015, 08:58 PM

6,000 miles a year or 16 miles a day should be more than enough to keep a battery charged unless you're doing a lot of starts in those 16 miles.
The dealer should be able to show you the alternator output and the battery voltage with the engine off. If you pull in and your battery is sitting at less than 13.2v, there is a problem either with the battery(it can happen since we had to replace the 12v battery at just over a year on our 2012 Camry Hybrid) or the charging system.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by mainesail
6,000 miles a year or 16 miles a day should be more than enough to keep a battery charged unless you're doing a lot of starts in those 16 miles.
The dealer should be able to show you the alternator output and the battery voltage with the engine off. If you pull in and your battery is sitting at less than 13.2v, there is a problem either with the battery(it can happen since we had to replace the 12v battery at just over a year on our 2012 Camry Hybrid) or the charging system.
thanks for the reply. I was hoping for some good info like this. I will ask my dealer.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 AM

Check the capacity of the battery and use a multimeter in the amps range/mili amps range to soo how much it is pulling. if you still have the old car do the same on it. compare and you if you can get a larger capacity battery that would sdrain in the same amount of time in the new car as it does in the old you may not get this problem. I would also suggest taking a look and comparing both alternators. a higher amperage alternator may be of more use to you as in the time fram you are driving it can allow the battery to charge more .

check
1. Battery capacity
2. Internal battery resistance (I think cars judge in cranking amps. more amps less resistance)
3. Alternator voltage, and current output.
4. Standby electronics drain
5. Electronics drain with car on.

with those 5 things you may find a very simple difference between the two cars that you can fix easily.

Ohm's law... I=V/R
Using this equation you should be able to do the math. other resources may help you to get on more of a physics level if needed.

*Educational Resources*
Lead-Acid Batteries
FearOfPhysics.com: Home

Old 07-03-2020, 12:18 PM

Hi Doug - i wondered if you found a resolution for this? I have the same problem, it's so annoying! I drive my car every day, have had the battery checked numerous times and still it says it. Thanks

Old 07-03-2020, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

did you visit a shop for diagonostics? could be a battery issue, a charging system issue or a wiring issue (such as bad grounds or sensor connectors). On my VW CC, it would randomly stop charging (battery light would come on) which would go away with a restart. Problem got traced to a ground connection to the transmission... Go figure right?

Old 07-04-2020, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by easydriver
Hi Doug - i wondered if you found a resolution for this? I have the same problem, it's so annoying! I drive my car every day, have had the battery checked numerous times and still it says it. Thanks
Your problem is likely a battery that needs tio be replaced, or possibly some other charging system issue. Have your system checked. I had these symptoms and everything checked out. But 2 months later the car would not start. Replaced the battery and problems solved.

Old 04-28-2021, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by dougr
any suggestions on trouble-shooting it
Hi!
1) check for parasitic draining. Look on youtube how to do this.
2) try to charge your battery with a charger fully and then check how it will work.
3) Measure the voltage when your car is running and when it is turned off to check what voltage your alternator gives.
4) If it does not help, try to use any different car battery for a couple of hours to test.

Then you will get your answer and you will be more confident in the dealership with your arguments after this tests )
Good luck!

P.S. It will be the best if you ask your dealership to fulfill this 4-items playlist for you ))

Last edited by EricStrong; 04-28-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:37 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Still More

I have had the "Low Battery Charge" message since November - two years after the dealer installed a new (Volvo) battery. Two thoughts occur: Volvo batteries are low quality and/or the alternator output is restricted to reduce load and improve fuel mileage. Now that warm weather is here, I'll check the running and off voltage. I suspect that a new battery (not a Volvo one) is in the works. The issue with battery replace is the need to avoid disrupting the electronics - the recommendations range from "Wait 5 minutes after shut down so that all settings are saved (Owner's manual) to "We need to do a Vidas reset of the BMS - $200 please" (Dealer)