Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Headlight wiper motor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight wiper motor replacement

Okay so my 2001 s60 driver side headlight wiper is not doing its job anymore. I am assuming i will have to replace the whole motor, however can't seem to figure out the best way of attacking this job. How do i get at it the best?
thanks

Old 12-15-2010, 02:16 PM

The only way to get to it is by removing the front bumper. Then you will have access to the bolts holding in the motors.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:20 AM

mwheaty:

Did you have any luck replacing the wiper motors? I have the same problem. Thanks. Jim

Old 01-14-2011, 03:05 PM

hey, just got the motor today, don't know what took my parts guy so long but i am going to give it a shot tonight!
i'll let you know in the next day or so

Old 01-16-2011, 06:29 PM

Got it done in about 45 min. No problems at all was actually super easy. Can do it all yourself too, don't need a second set of hands.
Take the front bumper off and then take the headlight off and then the motor comes right off the bottom of the light unclip it and put everything back on! super easy and works perfect now

Old 01-18-2011, 09:04 AM

Hi mwheaty

Thanks for the update. Wow, a 45 minute job, I would have guessed it would take 4+ hours.

If possible can you detail the process to remove / replace the front bumper? Are any special tools or extra hardware required? Is your car an S60? I drive a 2002 S60.

How much did you pay for your wiper motors? I'm in Edmonton, Canada. Are you from the same region? If so maybe you could recommend where I can buy them.

Many Thanks

Old 01-18-2011, 07:53 PM

Check out this posting on the forum, it is pretty much perfect for what you need.
http://www.volvo-forums.com/t18455-h...t-assembly.htm

I am in Calgary, ordered a used one off ebay. Sellers name is volvopartsonly, he/she was very prompt in gettting it out to me but the usps was not, took about two weeks to get here. But thats usps i guess. It was only 75 to my door which was way better then volvo and ipd does not stock these for whatever reason.
I believe that it is the same motor up to 2004 so you should have no changes in the removal of the bumper.
the only things i may add to the description link i gave you is
1. the front bolts are under the lighter colour molding in the bumper, if you start at the middle with a slot screw driver they pop right out. Then you have access to the front bolts.
2. all the top rivets are a push down the centre style and then pull the whole thing out, they are reuseable if you do it right.
3. on the torx inside the wheel under the fender, once loosened almost right out push the torx back on itself cause it is a tightener for the bumper and it moves the tensioner back towards the front of the car, don't loosen all the way or you may be fishing for parts.

As i said 45 min to do it, if i had to do it again i bet it would take 20-30min max now. Super easy job, those pictures help tonnes.

No stupid tools where needed, and no extra parts as long as you are careful and the car is warm so the plastic will not be brittle, so make sure you get outta this stupid cold.

Good luck let me know if you need anything else

Old 01-28-2011, 06:20 PM

mwheaty,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try to find wiper motors on ebay, and I'll probably wait until the snow melts before trying to replace the wiper motors.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to remove, repair, and reinstall the left headlight wiper on my girlfriend's 2002 v40 without removing the bumper or headlight (as indicated in manual) . The locking tabs on the motor housing had broken and let the drive mechanism pop off the drive gear. Once it was timed properly and a few nylon zip-ties were attached it was back in service. Cost: $4.00 Time: 1.2 hours Saved her $240. She was happy. LOL

Old 02-25-2011, 01:36 PM

J. A. Higgins - I just read your post. I still haven't replaced my wiper motors...but maybe I can fix them, as you did, insted of replacing them! B-)

You mentioned "I was able to remove, repair, and reinstall the left headlight wiper on my girlfriend's 2002 v40 without removing the bumper or headlight (as indicated in manual)"...which manual are you referring to?

Did you need to jack up the car to do the work?

Thanks!

Jimbo

Old 02-25-2011, 05:12 PM

Hello Jimbo_Jones. I was referring to the Haynes workshop manual. Yes, I did jack up the front of the car after chocking the rear wheels and setting the parking brake. The plastic plastic engine cover and splash guard were removed and there was plenty of room to remove the two bolts holding the motor in place. Instead of removing the headlamp I simply removed the wiper arm from the motor and then removed the motor from under the car. The motor drive gear had somehow jumped out of place and snapped the tabs of the housing (it's plastic). After re-timing the gear and installing tie-straps to hold the cover the motor was re-installed and is still working. Total cost: $4.00 for tie-straps + time + 1 kiss. Cost to have Volvo do it: ~$500.00

Old 02-26-2011, 08:26 AM

HiJ. A. Higgins, many thanks for your last message.

RE: "The motor drive gear had somehow jumped out of place and snapped the tabs of the housing (it's plastic). After re-timing the gear and installing tie-straps to hold the cover the motor was re-installed and is still working."

How exactly do you re-time the gear? Wouldn't you simply just have to "mesh" the gear again? It is a simple spur gear setup, such as:

http://www.fi.edu/time/Journey/Time/...s/spurgear.gif

?

Thanks again!

Old 02-26-2011, 01:18 PM

In order for the wiper arm drive-shaft to operate the wiper in the desired direction the saw-tooth looking gear must be in correct location (see link). If the gears are not properly aligned the wiper arm will run in the opposite direction.

http://www.saab9000.com/procedures/e...wiperepair.php (The Saab and Volvo use the same motor.)

More complete information (four pages): http://pages.infinit.net/mlbriand/sa...ightwiper.html

Thanks to
Scott Paterson of "The SAAB Network" & Michel Briand.