Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

HID question, gear shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID question, gear shift ****

Whats up fellas? Im over on the Ram forum with my truck, but my gf has an 03 s60 that shes wanting to put a little money into. The driving lights suck and shes wanting some HIDs like mine, so I have a few questions

Do you need a special harness for the volvo? The Dodges flash/flicker without relays or cancelers, so I was wondering if you needed them on your cars. Is it plug and play w/o a lamp out signal? Also, which size bulb is the low? (yall can answer it easier than me searching all over)

Also, I pulled an s80 woodgrain shifter **** for the auto tranny. How do you get the old one out and the new one in?

A few more ?s if you know anything about it. The strip over her door is gone to hell. Plastic peeling, black spots all over it. Scrubbing it will get the black off for a day or two, whats the fix for this? getting it painted?
And her car has recently became a bit sluggish. If feels like driving with the W button on, but its not. No accel, slower than heck. Once youre up to speed its okay, but if you have the throttle down it will pulsate.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks ahead of time, I know yall like pics of the newbies but I dont have any pics of her car on my comp.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:09 PM

HID is plug and play and the bulbs are H7. You may need to drill a 2mil hole in the shunt if you get the dipped beam bulb error on the dash. If you look a few threads down from this you will see i have already answered this question with regards to the HID conversion. (dont be lazy)
Cant help you with the gear stick as i have a manual and the car sounds like it needs a good service. When was this last done.? Try new filters and cleaning the MAF and see if that helps with how it runs. If it is a turbo is it spooling.? It would help if we new what is under the hood.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by crespo
If you look a few threads down from this you will see i have already answered this question with regards to the HID conversion. (dont be lazy)
I saw your other post. You were the only one who answered it, so I figured if I posted maybe I would have a few chime in. Just about everyone on my forum has done the conversion, and everyone has a tip or trick for install

and i believe its a 2.4 I5? i know its not a turbo. Im sure she hasn't taken it into the shop in awhile, I change the oil and stuff. When getting serviced, what all do you mean getting done (FI clean, 02 sensors, etc)? I just changed her air filter. It was more of a sudden thing, which makes me wonder if its a misfire? Its got 80k on it, so yes it needs a full servicing though

Old 02-25-2010, 04:56 PM

I dont know much about the 2.4 non turbo engine as that was not available in the UK but all engines are pretty much the same. so start with oil, air and fuel filter which it could probably do with anyway. The spark plugs should have been changed at 60K so they could probably do with being changed as well. And give the MAF sensor a spray of carb cleaner to get 80k's worth of crap off it. DONT TOUCH THE METAL ELEMENTS INSIDE WITH ANYTHING as they are super sensitive just spray with carb cleaner leave to dry then put it back on.

With the HID's i would have a pop at getting the bulbs out a few times to get the hang of it before you attempt to fit the HID's as there really is not a lot of room in there especially with the extra wires.

Here is the volvo service schedule so you can keep it in good condition in future. Stick to this and the car will last for years. http://apps.volvocars.us/ownersdocs/...intenance.html.