Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

key won't turn past 1st position/SRS lite on

Old 04-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key won't turn past 1st position/SRS lite on

Hello! I have a 2004 SR60 (which I love by the way) and I stored it in my garage for a couple months to avoid the terrible potholes. When I tried to start it yesterday, I got the "click, click, click" and proceeded to "slow" charge the battery. When I tried to start it again, the key(s) (I tried both) won't go past the 1st position and the SRS light on the dash is lit up (shows an airbag inflated). Any ideas? Could a mouse have done some damage? Why would the key turn at first, but then not after the battery was charged? Thanks!

Old 04-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Most likely the lock assembly is bad.
It is just ironic that it would not work after you charged it.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:37 AM

I had the same problem today, the key could not turn from 0 to I, the wheel is locked and the brake pad is stiff. I thought I might have to tow it to dealership. However, my friend help me this out. He turned the key very hard and was able to make it to position I. Bingo, everything back to normal. Hope this helps.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Default Worked but have to be careful

I has the same problem ones, and used the same fix as described above. For no reason, one day I got into my 02 S60 and the key wouldn't turn and basically all the same symptoms. After looking in the manual, calling some people (no one had any idea), and other unsuccessful attempts I got pretty mad, just got in and forced it and it worked, it's been over a year now and I never had the same problem again. Now, I don't think, that this is a good way to deal with this kind of problem, it worked for me, but if you're going to try this, it is at your own risk.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:03 PM

Ok, this just happened in our 2000 V70. The key would turn to position 1, the srs light pops on, but the key refuses to turn to start the car and the shifter is stuck in park. I pulled the oil dipstick out, lightly coated the key on ALL sides, inserted it back into the ignition and turned it a little forcibly. It turned so I cycled it back and forth a few times and it was good to go. We were stuck so this was a last ditch attempt to get going....I would suugest using clean, 3 in 1 oil to lubricate the ignition.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Default Key won't go past position I 2003 Volvo V70 (Solution)

Symtoms: Key won't turn past I, no message for immobilizer, shifter is locked in P, steering wheel appears to be unlocked (did not feel the lock-but didn't dry steer excessively to determine either way)

1. Took spare service key (more torgue without breaking) and sprayed with lithium grease. Inserted in and pulled out several times. Forced the the key and it stiffly turned. Excercised this motion several times, turned the key over and same. Extracted and inserted key and it works although a litttle stiff.

Last edited by v70x2; 02-18-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Smile Key won't go past position I 2002 Volvo V70 (Solution)

This morning the key just would not go past position I. I took the advices in this thread, squirted some three-in-one oil in the key hole, then turned the key a little harder. That did the trick; everything seems fine now.

I don't know the mechanism inside the key assembly. But it appears that some parts might have worn out and they ended up not properly lined up. So when I turned, it was like trying to start with a wrong key. The oil and the hard turn simply popped them back into place. Hopefully with the oil there, even if things go off again, it will slide back into position readily.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:56 PM

Just had the same problem on a 99 v70, went on internet and saw a bunch of wiggles and jiggle attempts, so went back and tried to no avail, call AAA for a tow, resigned to the idea that a NEW switch was in order.

AAA comes, explain the issue, he gets in the car and pounds on the key in the ignition and it works WOW. He told me that usually a screw driver and small hammer work as well, appears he has done this many a time, the jolt releases the parts that are stuck. I will now try to lube the lock, but TG to AAA, as I happily drove home. Once in the driveway I tried the key again and it worked fine.
SO a small bit of pounding might be the answer.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by EricInMarietta
This morning the key just would not go past position I. I took the advices in this thread, squirted some three-in-one oil in the key hole, then turned the key a little harder. That did the trick; everything seems fine now.

I don't know the mechanism inside the key assembly. But it appears that some parts might have worn out and they ended up not properly lined up. So when I turned, it was like trying to start with a wrong key. The oil and the hard turn simply popped them back into place. Hopefully with the oil there, even if things go off again, it will slide back into position readily.
Thanks, I used silicone spay and the advice from the AAA remedy (taped it gently) forced the turn and WOLA! it worked. Thanks everyone.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:30 PM

Why do I even open the owner's manual, instead of just checking here first? Thanks everyone, for solving my panic when this happened half an hour ago with my 05 R. I had JUST pulled it into the garage to change a bulb, and went to start it again to pull it ahead, and this happened. A little oil later...

Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 PM

Had the same problem with my 05 s60. Without warning, I went out to start the car and the key wouldn't turn past the first position. Found this site and tried WD 40 on the key and keyhole. Didn't work initially so I gave up. I went back about 30 minutes later, turned the key with a little more force and voila...the key turned all the way. Tried it several more times and its working but the mechanism is a little stiff. Just hope I don't have a problem in the morning.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:14 AM

Just had the same problem with my 2008 S60. Some WD-40 and some taps on the key with a hammer and the key turned like nothing bad ever happened. Seems like I should still go ahead and replace the lock assembly, but at least I can drive it in the meantime and didn't have to tow it.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:30 AM
Default Are these two things connected?

i know this is an old thread, but I'm having this problem with my 2004 v70. I've read the earlier posts about the ignition cylinder. But I was wondering if the key not turning (and gear being stuck in park) is connected to the srs light being on? This is the first time I've seen that light, and the first time my key won't turn.

I just had some repair work done (to struts and alignment) before this happened -- the same day. I drove home and a few hours later, this happened. Could the mechanic have done something to affect the airbag system, and that it is what's preventing the car from starting? If so, is there a fix (aside from having the car towed back to the mechanic)?

Old 08-12-2017, 03:50 PM

Just had this happen to my 05 S60. I desperately tried everything to get it to turn and it just wouldn't. Had to have the car towed and have a new ignition installed. $500. Blech!

Old 07-17-2020, 05:29 AM

A 2001, S60 Volvo 4 door, key Wouldn't turn past first section, Temp was cold. Turning the key Hard didn't work. Hitting the bottom of the lock assembly didn't work... Taping the Key on head in line with key in lock with a hammer Got it Going...... Worked Like a Charm.

Thanks to these Forum Posts