Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Low Beam Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tested my "bad" shunt with the rear fogs and it works alright, leading me to believe the shunt is ok but I'd need to pull the CEM and clean it as described in this thread (thank you by the way!). I can feel the bottom half of the replacement shunt I tried is popping out a bit no matter what kind of force is used to insert it. I believe I made the connection a bit more loose (04 S80) because now I have some issues on the other side, but I'd like to just pretend that's progress

Old 12-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Question Dipped Beam Failure

I get the same message, except only my left light is out. I replaced the bulb but that didn't work. The Shunt seems ok and has no burn marks. Any ideas?

Old 05-06-2011, 12:29 PM

any one know where I can get a 06 s40 diagram?

Old 05-06-2011, 12:47 PM

I have a 06 S40 t5 and my low beams have been acting up for awhile now.The car was in an accident on the front passenger side I had it repaired and the light assembly was replaced w a used one and worked fine.......for awhile. Then after about 2 months the drivers side would fail intermittently at start up. After about a month of this the passenger side went out completely. I have since replaced the bulb but it has since never came on. Also since this problem arose I have been experiencing some intermittent engine problems where the turbo spools harder than usual and then stops and there is a vibration underneath the car. My cousin who is a genius w AWD turbo eclipses says its probably a misfire. I honestly dont know. I could REALLY USE SOME HELP WITH THIS!!!!! I live in Chicago right next to where a lot of people street race and the cops F*@k with me constantly and I need to get this resolved ASAP!

Old 11-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Default photos

Originally Posted by keesue
I found the procedure to get the CEM out, reemove the shunt and to repair the problem. I have copied that procedure here in case someone else needs it. I'm going to do this on Monday when I can get a new shunt. I'll post my results. I'll also measure the resistance with the new shunt and post that as well.

Symptoms: Headlights not on, system display reads "BULB FAILURE DIPPED BEAM"
Problem: Shunt is overheating, carbon has deposited on shunt connection. Need to replace shunt, clean carbon off CEM connector. You will need: patience, no-residue electrical connection cleaner, T25 torx bit, flashlight, 400 grit sandpaper, volvo part# 9442190 costs $9 (same part# for S60) Entire procedure is same as S60.

First, disconnect the negative lead from the battery. Then use the t25 torx to remove 2 screws that lie near the footwell/pedal light. You'll need to pull this panel down(with strong force) on the left side, then the right. Then, to disconnect it from the center consol, this "sound barrier" must be pushed up and toward the front of the car. You'll get it, just be careful.

Now with the plastic out of the way, you'll need to locate the CEM. Its directly in front of the obd port. To remove the CEM from it's clips, you'll need a screwdriver(I pried the clips with my bare hands). You will be upside-down and backwards, so you are looking towards the sky in the footwell. The clip that holds the CEM in place is behind it on the port side, the side closest to the door. It must be pulled directly away from the CEM. At the same time, pull the cem not down but back towards the obd port. It will take a few tries, as it will try to clip back into place. You can now maneuver the CEM down into a more workable location. Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket ... CT2320.jpg
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket ... CT2318.jpg
You will see the burnt part of the cem even with the shunt still in. It is obvious, yellowy/black burned plastic. Pull the shunt out like you would a fuse.
Take a break...
Before going back to work on the car, take 400 grit(or something close to 400) and cut about a 8cm by 1cm rectangle. You need it to slip into the connector(just the burned one where the old shunt sat. Sand the inside of that connection real good. Your sandpaper will become dicolored, proving that you are cleaning. Sand it until you feel it's clean enough. I gave it a good 20-30 strokes. Clean with electrical cleaner. Let cleaner dry(30min to be sure). You are ready to replace the shunt(with the new one), replace the CEM, and put everything back together.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket ... CT2310.jpg

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket ... CT2337.jpg
I can't locate the photos linked in your post. I even signed for a photobucket account but the links you posted just take you the general site. Can you please post the photos again.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:19 AM

Would this same thing be the problem on my 1998 S90 ?

Old 02-25-2013, 04:58 AM

where do 0 find this on my volvo 1997 850 t-5

Old 02-27-2013, 06:57 AM

Can I run low beam headlight bulbs through high beam headlight housing?
My low beam headlight housing isn't working on one side, if i put in to low beam bulbs in the full beam housings will they work ok?

Old 04-01-2013, 06:09 PM

need diagram from anyone for ecu/ecm , inspection due in usa and need diagram to replace relays / shuts so low beams work, only drivers sde low beam not working , please need help

Old 08-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Default Fried wire connection

Hello,

I've been reading through this thread as well as this one: https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...ing-out-45052/

I've had the same dipped beam issues as the above link. I believe it's due to a bad or corroded shunt at pin 2 on my 2000 S80 (looks exactly like the pic in the link they posted). I removed the shunt to try to clean the connection points, and the wire on the back appeared exposed, which I thought may have caused the burnout. So I tried removing the wire to see if I could either tape it, or put a new connection on it, but it snapped off the connection. The connection burned so much that I think it melted the plastic around it and welded the metal connection to the plastic. It doesn't appear that this connection is connected to the CEM in any way other than through the shunt. Does anybody know if the connection point that connects the back wires to the shunts can be removed from the CEM housing, or should I just look at replacing the CEM? If I should replace the CEM, does anybody know if this can be done without reprogramming and can point me to a procedure?

Thanks.

Last edited by derrickbj; 08-29-2013 at 09:12 AM. Reason: correction/additional info
Old 01-08-2014, 08:34 PM

I'm having the same issue with my driver side low beam. However, my driver side rear running lights also go out from time to time but if I tap the lens cover they come back on.

Did you ever figure out what was causing this?

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by MC2006S60
I'm having the same issue with my driver side low beam. However, my driver side rear running lights also go out from time to time but if I tap the lens cover they come back on.

Did you ever figure out what was causing this?

Thanks!
Hi There...bad news. It was a faulty wire harness. For me it was the section of the harness that ran the sensor for the headlamp at start up to show if it was working or not. Part cost is about $800 for a new harness.

I had the shop bypass it so now the dash always has a warning that the low beam is out.

If you have the same problem try removing the headlamp....then star the car and then plug in the headlamp. I think that is how I bypassed it. What you are doing is letting the sensor run then you plug it in and it works fine.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:06 PM

My friend's 2001 S80 has the issue with the shunt burning out. Every 2 months or so I am replacing the shunt. Actually, replacing the shunt is not so bad - especially when it sounds like removing the CEM is a real pain. My other concern is I've read in prior posts that removing the CEM caused other issues (connectors breaking - fun stuff like that).

I want to help my friend fix his car as correctly and inexpensively as possible without causing other issues. This is probably a dumb idea, but I was thinking about taking the power wire from the fog lights and rerouting that to the low beam light. The car does not need fog lights - it does need low beams. I know this is a "hillbilly" sort of idea and the low beams may require different amps than the fog lights. I'm just throwing it out there to see if it makes any sense at all. If it could work then he would be stuck with just low beams/no fogs and my guess is he would have to turn off the fog light switch in order to use high beams. Let the flaming begin...

Old 07-17-2015, 07:26 PM

Actually this video makes it look like removing the CEM is pretty easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRdXsCdvhVg

Old 07-18-2015, 06:14 PM
Default low beam problem

Originally Posted by LORDZBORDOM
I have a 06 S40 t5 and my low beams have been acting up for awhile now.The car was in an accident on the front passenger side I had it repaired and the light assembly was replaced w a used one and worked fine.......for awhile. Then after about 2 months the drivers side would fail intermittently at start up. After about a month of this the passenger side went out completely. I have since replaced the bulb but it has since never came on. Also since this problem arose I have been experiencing some intermittent engine problems where the turbo spools harder than usual and then stops and there is a vibration underneath the car. My cousin who is a genius w AWD turbo eclipses says its probably a misfire. I honestly dont know. I could REALLY USE SOME HELP WITH THIS!!!!! I live in Chicago right next to where a lot of people street race and the cops F*@k with me constantly and I need to get this resolved ASAP!
Turns out it was the igniter. Replaced it and had no issues since then. Driving an Evo rs now.

Last edited by LORDZBORDOM; 07-18-2015 at 06:17 PM.