Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Radiator Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:19 PM
evs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Issue

Hello,

Earlier on today I was driving down the highway when suddenly I saw a piece of truck tire laying on my lane. To be honest I was traveling a little fast and there wasn't much I could do so I decided to just hit it. My first impression was that all that would happen would be a scratched bumper but around 30 seconds later the on board display said "coolant level low, stop engine". I did as it said and called a tow truck.

While waiting for the tow truck I inspected the car, The radiator is bent but I don't know if its actually cracked or if its a busted line. It also broke a small part of the lower bumper. I would like to know if there is anyway for me to inspect the radiator any other way besides just looking around. I would like to figure out what went wrong so I can decide what to replace.

I googled replacing the radiator and I got a good "how to" which is this one right here:
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...edures-replace

Do you guys think this is a job that can be preformed by someone who is mechanically inclined? Also, if you have any other "how to's" that you know about please let me know, I would prefer one with pictures...

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a secret way to inspect a volvo but you have to go to sweden to get trained on how to do it. Someone over at Volvospeed.com will probably leak the secret to you.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:25 PM

As far as inspecting for leaks, just wait for the car to cool then fill the radiator back up with water and watch for leaks (it should be pretty obvious at that point). Hopefully its not the radiator but most likely is. Let us know what you find.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

01 fast ride is right -- refill and watch for leaks on a dry surface. Start and idle the car so you get pressure and circulation, of course.

Regarding replacement -- radiators don't suspend themselves in free space. A bracket may be bent, too. And that would make reinstallation more problematic, as well as removal of existing bent radiator in all likelihood.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

It is a little bit of a pain to replace but it will come out of the bottom. If you take your time and have the car high enough it will slide out pretty easy.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by adub96
There is a secret way to inspect a volvo but you have to go to sweden to get trained on how to do it. Someone over at Volvospeed.com will probably leak the secret to you.
Are you trying to say no one here knows how to do it?
Are you saying there is no useful info here?

Old 05-11-2009, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by tech
Are you trying to say no one here knows how to do it?
Are you saying there is no useful info here?
Whoa don't get touchy it was a joke. At volvospeed there is a write up on replacing an S60 radiator, with pictures. I do n't even like volvospeed.I'm a turbobricks guy.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Alot of people don't like VS either that's why it hit like that. People over there have attitudes and I don't let it fly like that here.

We all help the best we can here. I can walk people through doing alot of things.
I cannot always post good pics in a write up because I do not own all the cars we talk about here.

Also I cannot take pics of everything I do at work and post I would get fired quick.

But we all as a community get people through replacing alot of things.

Sorry I jumped like that but I like to keep this place nice and calm.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:16 AM

No I agree, I'm not on VS for a reason, and I try to avoid some of the TB bull because while it is a good forum. There is a lot of putting people down about stuff and telling people their stupid for thinking or doing things. But they do have a great project and restoration thread.

I do have an S60 and had it at the shop this weekend and was looking at how to pull it out. I believe it can be accomplished fairly well b a somewhat confident shade tree mechanic, that owns some nice jack stands.

I try to come on here to help people in the RWD forums as best I can with the experience I have had over the last 13 years of working on cars. I used to work for BMW then Mercedes. At Merc we saw a lot of Volvo's come in so i picked a few things up and sort of took it on myself. I do appreciate the site and like to try and help and also try to dispell myths that tend to grow on car forums.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Administrator

I appreciate the help as well.
I just like to keep it calm here.