Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Refueling Slow and Gas Pump Shuts off ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Refueling Slow and Gas Pump Shuts off ??

2001 S60 T5...when refueling, can only get fuel into car by very slowing refueling and barely holding gas pump handle. Have tried to adjust how far to put pump nozzle into filler tube, no help. I have NO codes showing. Is this some kind of shut-off valve issue or what?? Any help, experience with similar problems appreciated!!

Old 10-22-2013, 04:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to respond in a way that addresses many cars and not just particular to the Volvo.

In the gas tank there must be a way to allow expansion to occur and that is usually done by way of a valve mechanism. The number 2.5 psi comes to mind as a favorite release of pressure. It is normally all part of the evap system and if the valve doesn't open to allow for expansion of air, you will get early shut-off as you describe.

There is a work-around. Don't put the nozzle into the tank neck as far as you normally do, allow some air to escape past the fueling nozzle. It may do the trick or try filling the tank early morning when things are colder.

If you are in California and other States that have the according style boot over the fueling nozzle, the first suggestion becomes harder to complete.

Is you carbon can happy?

Old 10-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Default Slow refueling

This is a common problem with many cars, and with Volvo it is an easy fix. I had this problem with my 04 S60 T5 last summer and it was a plugged gas tank vent. When you put gas into the tank, the displaced air and vapours go thru a filter cannister and vent to atmospher. This cannister vent is a short rubber tube and has an internal screen and spiders love to nest in this area and so plug it up. The filter is located behind the passenger rear wheel, just below the gas filler door. Raise the rear of the car and look up behind the right rear wheel to see this cannister
Take something like fine wire, such as machinest tie wire and poke it in to clear out the spider nest debris. This should allow you to pump away at full capacity.

Junior but with 40 yrs Volvo ownership

Last edited by rando; 10-25-2013 at 09:08 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 10-26-2013, 09:29 AM

Thanks urdrwho and rando for your responses. Question - did either of the conditions and fixes you offer include any diagnostic / engine codes??? I have NOT received any check engine lights - and NO CODES for my problem. Gonna try rando's recommendation first, and suspect it is actually the shutoff valve urdrwho mentions. I am getting too old to crawl under my cars anymore and work on them, so hoping the vent tube is the answer...appreciated the responses !!

Old 10-26-2013, 02:35 PM

I agree with rando, I see many cars come in with spider webs/nests built in vent hole. Primary complaint from customer is vehicle will not take gas keeps shutting off gas pump. The vent on your car is located inside rear quarter panel just below your fuel cap. Follow filler neck up and you'll see the vent canister. The other possible cause is if you've had a fuel pump put in, it's possible the isn't lined up correctly and blocking the flapper that closes in event off a roll over. I know this because I did this while doing a 220 recall for the fuel pump. And no check engine lights will set due to this.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:15 PM

Well, tried all recommendations concerning the vent filter canister with no luck... guess it's time to jack her up and get to the carbon canister and shutoff valve. Thanks folks...appreciate your input...