Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

S60 Transmissions: your experiences/thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S60 Transmissions: your experiences/thoughts

Hi there, I'm new to this forum as I stumbled across it while researching S60s. I've been casually looking for a new car (I currently drive a 1995 VW Passat GLX VR6 with Auto tranny and 160,000 miles). I came across the S60, and they seem to be a good deal in terms of price for what you get for a used one. However, I have become concerned about what I've seen about the automatic transmissions on these cars. I'm looking at an '01 2.4T with automatic and under 70k miles.

What are your experiences? I see that some problems are fixed with simple computer upgrades and regular changing of fluid, but others have needed complete rebuilds/replacements. How long are your transmissions lasting? And has anyone had a replacement/rebuild outside of a Volvo dealer...was it cheaper? I've had reliability issues with my Passat, but the transmission is still all original at 160k and counting, so a failing transmission at well under 100k would give me flashbacks to my mom's old '89 Voyager, and my father's and my '88 and '91 Tauruses, respectively. If I'm going to be spending upwards of $2000 on a new transmission before I even hit 100k, it might be worth it to just spend more money up front on something newer and more "reliable".

Thanks in advance for your input!

Old 08-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: S60 Transmissions: your experiences/thoughts

I have an '01 non-turbo with just over 101K and it shifts just fine, everytime. I am planning on doing the flush myself as per the 105K recommendation. I would test drive the car extensively over different conditions (regular stop-go, cruising, and quick acceleration hwy on-ramps) so you get a feel for the shifting. Take note if the trans is slow engaging 1-2 and 2-3 or if it slams into these gears (should be smooth in both instances). If you are buying from a dealer, just make sure they perform any/all SW updates before you take ownership. Me personally, I wouldn't be concerned about buying a used Volvo. If I had the money or the need for another car, I would.

This is just one opinion, I'm sure others may say different.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:00 PM

Thanks for your input. Do you know how much the updates usually run at a dealer? I've put 47k miles on my Passat in 4 years and 2 months, so if I could put those kind of miles on the car without major problems, I would be generally happy, haha.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:42 PM

I can't be too certain, since I haven't had any need to bring mine into the dealer for anything. From what I've read in various other posts, SW is between $30-50 and the dealer will add labor of a minimum of 1 hour charge. Did you mention if you were buying from a dealer?? If so, just have them make sure the car is up to snuff before you take it. If not, my guess is it'll run about $130.

Others can chime in if they have had this service performed

Old 08-13-2007, 03:06 PM

The car I am looking at is from a private seller, but obviously these are issues I would address before completing any sale. That is supposing I actually decide to make an offer. While I have your attention, what are your other thoughts on the car? My uncle had a T5 with manual and he did comment on the large turning radius, his low profile tires constantly needing replacement, along with the rapidly burning out headlights, but those is rather minor compared to transmission replacement on a low mileage vehicle.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:43 PM

Mich,

I reccomend you keep take a pass on this, or any, 2001.

I, too, did a lot of research before buying my 03 s60 in June. I'm a frequent reader of about 1/2 dozen volvo forums just like this one. Here's what I learned:

2001 was, of course, the first M.Y. for the S60. The conventional wisdom of buying just about anything is that the first year has kinks that need to be worked out. Indeed, it appears the S60 has followed this trend.

The transmission trouble appears to be caused by a novel "experiment" that unfortunaly went awry. Apparently, a feature exists whereby the transmission automatically shifts itself into N every time you stop (at a stop light, for example) and then, when you lift the break, it "seamlessly" shifts back into D. The idea was that it would increase gas milage. The problem is that it put LOADS of wear & tear upon the transmission. Apparently Volvo was very hush about this in 2002 but they knew the problem existed, as evidenced by the lack of this "feature" on subsequent model years, as well as a fix that the dealer applied if you brought the car in for regular service.

This is one of the transmission-related software updated you may have read about.

The best judgement of many s60 owners seems to be that if, indeed, you had a car that was put in service late in the model year, or that was brought in to the dealership for adjustments at a very low mileage, the Neutral-On-Stop feature will have been disabled without any serious damage being done. After that, you're taking a risk. Furthermore, it's very well possible that the car you're looking at has NEVER been upgraded. You can easily tell: Stop at a light, and listen very carefully when you take your foot off the break and then onto the gas. 01 owners say you'll hear a "clunk" as it shifts from N to D.

The only thing that would convince me to perhaps buy a 2001 would be a single-owner that was informed and aware of the problem and took mitigating steps, such as a more agressive transmission maintenance schedule than Volvo reccomends (that is, fluid repalcement and flushes more often than Volvo says is "needed")

Other than that, my advice to you would be to keep looking for a 2002 or later that will meet your needs. Even then, many report transmission issues. But I encourage you to take that with a grain of salt: Remember, people just don't create a post saying "Just FYI, Guys, My tranny is working GREAT!" You only see the worst of the worst.

I understand the desire for a reliable car. My previous ride was a 1999 Cadi Catera. Thankfully, I was one of the lucky owners, but oil in my coolant and $2000 in needed suspension repairs at 110,000mi led me to my S60.

Still, I was willing to accept that any car that's "fun" is going to need a little bit of work to keep it chugging. I test drove an Accord and a Camry. I considered going that route. But at the end of the day, I couldn't stomach the downgrade from a luxury sports sedan to a standard mass-market four-door.

I imagine that you might feel similarly coming from the VW.

Hands down, I _LOVE_ my S60. I bought the 2.4t model which, as you might know, has a low-pressure turbo. This means that it hits peak torque at a VERY low RPM, letting it just fly off the line effortlessly. It's an absolute PLEASURE to drive. Personally, i found the base s60 (w/o turbo) to be a little... wanting. Just too sluggish for me. That being said, if reliablity is your #1, the N/A is simply a less-complicated drivetrain and therefore less likely to cause you problems. (I don't want to scare you away from the Turbos, though. Volvo sells a LOT more turbocharged cars than normally asperated cars. They know what they're doing.)

Good Luck! If you do decide that the 01 is too sweet of a price to pass up, take it to a Volvo dealership and plunk down a $100 or 2 and let them really go over the thing with a fine-tooth-comb.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:46 PM

Well, my car is a slightly different beast as it is lower on the totem pole - being non-turbo. I have the 15" rims, so the sidewall of the tire is larger and treadwear isn't really an issue. Perhaps your uncle's T5 had 17". So yes, low profile tires generally wear faster as most are performance oriented and use a softer rubber compound. Has not much to do with the car, but tire size in general. That may have also influenced his turning radius, having wider tires. I do not notice poor turning and I usually have to snake around a car that is behind me in the driveway. I have heard from a few people that their headlights burn out quickly but that doesn't seem to be the general rule. I have only put new ones in once and that was to upgrade the existing bulbs, not replace burned out ones. One thing I would have looked at is the suspension. Even with the lower miles, the front suspension may need work. Most common are sway bar, endlinks, strut mounts and spring seats. Its best to get an inspection so you have an idea of what to expect. Labor is always the most expensive part of the equation so if work is needed, have everything needing replacement done together.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:36 AM

wow that was one informative post LoveMyS60. Really that has to be one of the most direct do or dont posts ive seen in a long time. Kudos, someone give that guy a cookie.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:40 AM

^ +1
LoveMyS60 has had some great posts. I especially like the mpg post. 100% agree with everything said.
I can't say I have had any of the problems that the '01 is known for. Except for a worn suspension which just comes from age/mileage and having been driven on Michigan's poor roads. Time will tell how long the tranny lasts. My mom owned the first M.Y. of the Mercedes C280 and it had the Neutral thing as well. Maybe that's why I am not too concerned about that. The C280 had over 150K miles in 6+ years before it was totalled - no problems with the tranny (but lots of other bugs). But LoveMyS60 might be right, maybe staying away from the '01s are your best bet to stay out of troubles.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:39 PM

I'm glad some people read my overly long posts!

Of course you're right about 2001's, fast_ride. Just because a preponderance of S60 problems are from the 2001 model year doesn't mean that the vast majority of 01's aren't trouble-free. They certainly are. They just happen to make up a disproportiate share of online "b**ching". Partly, I'm sure, because of first-year-kinks, but also just because they're older than any other model year and therefore have more miles and more problems.

But the problem for me when looking for a good s60 to buy was that I had no way of knowing wich 01's were cherries and which ones were lemons. And I just couldn't afford a $10,000-20,000 mistake.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:17 PM

That is what sucks about lemon cars, optimist or not no lemonade is worth 10,000 dollars.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:30 AM

me likes the lemonade. 'nother glass please.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:13 PM

our 04 2.5tfeels great on all shifts all the time, i know were more or less talking the earlier ones, but for what its worth i guess...

Old 08-27-2007, 06:21 PM

2001 S60 here with 127,000 miles on the clock. Transmision just started acting up today. Check engine ligh tis on, serrvice transmision ligh is on, shifts hard into 2nd, but does not do that very long as it feels as if it going into a fail safe mode shortly after driving - no power at all. Time to go to the damn shop.