Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

S60R 4C issue/SAS issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation S60R 4C issue/SAS issue

Hello, my fellow Swedish enthusiasts. I'm come to see if anyone can help me with this issue I've been having for the past few months or so.

2006 S60R M66AWD

The issue:
-Whenever I brake, my car goes to the left ever so slightly. This makes me turn the wheel ~15 deg to the right to compensate.
-If I brake harder, my Anti-skid light activates, then after a bit of time, it says Anti-Skid service required. But after I park and turn off the car, then go to turn it back on, that message goes away.
-If I brake lightly, I don't get the anti-skid light and it doesn't go into the service message.
-Granted, I do get perfect braking even though it goes to the left ever so slightly.

What I found:
-It seems my front right acceleration sensor (strut mounted one) is gone, like it got ripped out. The connector for that strut is also ripped out.
-the rear right level (Bi-Xeon) sensor gives me a "low voltage" when trying to calibrate the 4C on VIDA.
-It seems that only my right side is working.

What I've done so far:
-I did a brake fluid change, there was no air in the system and all brake calipers seem to work great.
-I had an alignment done, granted this issue was already present even before the alignment was done, but when I tried to calibrate the SAS (this is done in the BCM), it works, but I get an error code on VIDA that the calibration is not accepted. The BCM seems to also be working.
-The SUM seems to be working, at least to me, unless you guys have a way to fully confirm if its dead or not.
-I've tried to take out the fuse for the SUM but the braking to the left still persists. Even after trying to recalibrate in the BCM for the SAS.

Something weird:
-Whenever I down shift (manual transmission) if it's from a high speed and from a low rev to a high rev, the car goes to the left as if I was braking, this happens for like a split second, still long enough to make me react.

I'll see if I can post the error codes to see if any of them are related.

I would like to either fix the issue/disable this so I can brake straight.

Hopefully I can get any input as I'm getting burnt out trying to chase ghosts around my car.

Attached Thumbnails S60R 4C issue/SAS issue-screenshot-2022-04-19-123634.png   S60R 4C issue/SAS issue-screenshot-2022-04-19-123811.png   S60R 4C issue/SAS issue-screenshot-2022-04-19-123907.png  

Last edited by MrTaco; 04-19-2022 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:05 PM
Received 88 Likes on 86 Posts

For the car pulling left when braking, check the integrity of your subframe in the front. Make sure there are no cracks in it. I had a 1996 that would do that and one day when I was driving it jerked really hard and it actually broke.

I don't think this will be your problem, but it would be good to check. My old car's rusted out and you shouldn't have that issue on the volvos.

Brake pads and Rotors look okay?

It also looks like the steering angle sensor is going bad or got replaced incorrectly. They are a common issue in P2s

Old 04-19-2022, 01:00 PM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTaco
-Whenever I brake, my car goes to the left ever so slightly.

Something weird:
-Whenever I down shift (manual transmission) if it's from a high speed and from a low rev to a high rev, the car goes to the left as if I was braking, this happens for like a split second, still long enough to make me react.
Something is worn in the front end.

How old and what brand are your control arms?

Ball joints?

Old 04-19-2022, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dingus1
For the car pulling left when braking, check the integrity of your subframe in the front. Make sure there are no cracks in it. I had a 1996 that would do that and one day when I was driving it jerked really hard and it actually broke.

I don't think this will be your problem, but it would be good to check. My old car's rusted out and you shouldn't have that issue on the volvos.

It also looks like the steering angle sensor is going bad or got replaced incorrectly. They are a common issue in P2s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc-RIK8rdzI

I'll check the subframe, the rotors and pads do seem ok, both sides seem to be equal to one another.
I'll report back on the subframe part.

My thought was the SAS sensor, but it seems to calibrate fine, even if I try to calibrate it wrong, it will fail, like how I think it should.

Old 04-19-2022, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by hoonk

Ball joints?
I actually haven't check this, I'll check and report back while I'm checking the subframe.

Old 04-19-2022, 03:23 PM

It also looks like the steering angle sensor is going bad or got replaced incorrectly. They are a common issue in P2s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc-RIK8rdzI

Ok, I lifted the car and I checked the subframe, it all seems good, see the attached pic. I don't see any of it bent out of position or damaged.

Attached Thumbnails S60R 4C issue/SAS issue-pic-2.jpg  
Old 04-19-2022, 03:26 PM

Ball joints?
The control arm seems to be OEM or OE. The ball joints seem to be worn but not destroyed. When I try to move the wheel from front-to-back, it slightly tiny bit moves, doesn't seem that it could cause that much of counter steering though.

Here are some pics of the joints themselves, I did see that the sway bar bushing seems to be rotten but not gone. maybe that could cause it?

Attached Thumbnails S60R 4C issue/SAS issue-pic-1.jpg   S60R 4C issue/SAS issue-pic-3.jpg  
Old 04-19-2022, 04:06 PM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

If a control arm bushing flexes more on one side or the other (due to wear) the steering can drift/pull. When really bad the car will drift one way when accelerating and drift the other when decelerating. A sway bar will not cause a pull. I would rotate the tires first to make sure it's not tire related.

Last edited by hoonk; 04-19-2022 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:07 AM

If a control arm bushing flexes more on one side or the other (due to wear) the steering can drift/pull. When really bad the car will drift one way when accelerating and drift the other when decelerating. A sway bar will not cause a pull. I would rotate the tires first to make sure it's not tire related.

I’ll give it a shot, another thing I forgot to mention, is that the steering wheel will turn by itself to the right to counter act the steering to the left.
I’ll try to see if I can record a vid.
The tires are new and they got balanced, less than 1000miles on them.
I’ll get them rotated though and see if that makes a difference.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:58 AM

Here's the vid of what's happening when I brake. Hopefully this can also shed some light.

The first part, I braked without holding the wheel, you can clearly see that it turns by itself but it's because I'm braking in a straight line.
The second time I braked, I held the wheel and kept the car in a straight line.

Thank you both for the help so far.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_75895286.MOV (8.42 MB, 10 views)

Last edited by MrTaco; 04-23-2022 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by MrTaco
Hello, my fellow Swedish enthusiasts. I'm come to see if anyone can help me with this issue I've been having for the past few months or so.

2006 S60R M66AWD

The issue:
-Whenever I brake, my car goes to the left ever so slightly. This makes me turn the wheel ~15 deg to the right to compensate.
-If I brake harder, my Anti-skid light activates, then after a bit of time, it says Anti-Skid service required. But after I park and turn off the car, then go to turn it back on, that message goes away.
-If I brake lightly, I don't get the anti-skid light and it doesn't go into the service message.
-Granted, I do get perfect braking even though it goes to the left ever so slightly.

What I found:
-It seems my front right acceleration sensor (strut mounted one) is gone, like it got ripped out. The connector for that strut is also ripped out.
-the rear right level (Bi-Xeon) sensor gives me a "low voltage" when trying to calibrate the 4C on VIDA.
-It seems that only my right side is working.

What I've done so far:
-I did a brake fluid change, there was no air in the system and all brake calipers seem to work great.
-I had an alignment done, granted this issue was already present even before the alignment was done, but when I tried to calibrate the SAS (this is done in the BCM), it works, but I get an error code on VIDA that the calibration is not accepted. The BCM seems to also be working.
-The SUM seems to be working, at least to me, unless you guys have a way to fully confirm if its dead or not.
-I've tried to take out the fuse for the SUM but the braking to the left still persists. Even after trying to recalibrate in the BCM for the SAS.

Something weird:

I'll see if I can post the error codes to see if any of them are related.

I would like to either fix the issue/disable this so I can brake straight.

Hopefully I can get any input as I'm getting burnt out trying to chase ghosts around my car.
Found the solution to this problem!

Some of you said to check the integrity of the sub frame and bushings.
My front bushings for everything was gone!

I swapped the control arms with new ones, changed the ball joints and linkages. The car no longer pulls to the left!!

Thank you all for the help and support!