Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shudder in Steering when turning at speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shudder in Steering when turning at speed

New to the forum, and relatively new to Volvo ownership. Love the car, but not this experience... Here's the rundown- I have a 2015 T6 V60. It has ~52k miles on it. Was experiencing a shudder in the steering when turning, or when going in a straight line above 55mph. Additionally, there was a light growl from the rear. Took to a dealer, explained it all. They assure me it'll all be diagnosed. I assume all they did was hear the diff noise and blame it on that because after the warranteed rear differential repair(cause of the growl), the shudder was still there.

So I take the Service Manager and Tech on a ride, show them the symptom. They want to blame the wheels/tires(aftermarket, from Tirerack). Tech suggests I move the wheels front to back and see if the shudder follows. Oddly, when I did this, the straight-line shudder above 55mph went away, but the shudder in the wheel was still there, but only really noticeable when turning above 60mph. Service Manager tells me that isn't enough, wants the stock wheels on it. It's winter. I live on an ice-covered road, and snow-covered driveway. I don't trust those continental DWS on such surfaces. But the dealer wants to charge me $40 just to change wheels, and says they wont diagnose the issue without stock wheels on it.

So, today, I changed the wheels. The shudder did not go away, but it is subdued. To the point that I think this service manager, who I can tell thinks I'm blowing smoke and exaggerating, will say it's gone. I can still feel it above 60mph, when making turns, but it's lessened with the all-season tires and stock wheels. I have owned and maintained vehicles for nearly 2 decades. I have performed suspension swaps, engine/transmission swaps- all in the name of better performance. I am pretty certain I can tell when a vehicle is behaving oddly. Shudder in the wheel is ODD, to me.

I've also got additional (unrelated?)symptoms:
Very, VERY rough, random shifts from 1-2
Braking downhill the brake pulsing is very obvious, causes a shudder in the steering wheel
Traction control shut off the other night while driving home in snow

Am I crazy? What could it be? I've only owned this car for 7 months, and this experience is souring it. I know I shouldn't blame Volvo, but I had hopes that the quality of the brand would trickle down to a quality service experience, and it absolutely has not.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:19 PM

Sounds like tie rod(s) to me. Are there wheel spacers or anything on the rear?

Originally Posted by ryboto
New to the forum, and relatively new to Volvo ownership. Love the car, but not this experience... Here's the rundown- I have a 2015 T6 V60. It has ~52k miles on it. Was experiencing a shudder in the steering when turning, or when going in a straight line above 55mph. Additionally, there was a light growl from the rear. Took to a dealer, explained it all. They assure me it'll all be diagnosed. I assume all they did was hear the diff noise and blame it on that because after the warranteed rear differential repair(cause of the growl), the shudder was still there.

So I take the Service Manager and Tech on a ride, show them the symptom. They want to blame the wheels/tires(aftermarket, from Tirerack). Tech suggests I move the wheels front to back and see if the shudder follows. Oddly, when I did this, the straight-line shudder above 55mph went away, but the shudder in the wheel was still there, but only really noticeable when turning above 60mph. Service Manager tells me that isn't enough, wants the stock wheels on it. It's winter. I live on an ice-covered road, and snow-covered driveway. I don't trust those continental DWS on such surfaces. But the dealer wants to charge me $40 just to change wheels, and says they wont diagnose the issue without stock wheels on it.

So, today, I changed the wheels. The shudder did not go away, but it is subdued. To the point that I think this service manager, who I can tell thinks I'm blowing smoke and exaggerating, will say it's gone. I can still feel it above 60mph, when making turns, but it's lessened with the all-season tires and stock wheels. I have owned and maintained vehicles for nearly 2 decades. I have performed suspension swaps, engine/transmission swaps- all in the name of better performance. I am pretty certain I can tell when a vehicle is behaving oddly. Shudder in the wheel is ODD, to me.

I've also got additional (unrelated?)symptoms:
Very, VERY rough, random shifts from 1-2
Braking downhill the brake pulsing is very obvious, causes a shudder in the steering wheel
Traction control shut off the other night while driving home in snow

Am I crazy? What could it be? I've only owned this car for 7 months, and this experience is souring it. I know I shouldn't blame Volvo, but I had hopes that the quality of the brand would trickle down to a quality service experience, and it absolutely has not.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:00 AM

Local Volvo dealership replaced the steering rack under warranty after confirming the symptoms. Upon driving it after the repair I found the symptom was not gone. So, not sure exactly what they confirmed...

Old 03-01-2018, 06:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if this helps you but last year I was going bananas from a subtle shaking from down low in the front after I put some new wheels on. I took the new wheels off and put the stock wheels back on, shaking gone. I went back to the tire place and they inspected the wheels, remounted the tires and it still shook. They remounted tires AGAIN and re-indexed the tires (I think that means putting them back on wheels while rotating them a little) and rebalanced very carefully. Shaking went away. Go figure.