Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Synthetic Fluids

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Fluids

Just bought a used S60R and was looking into switching the drivetrain over to all BG synthetic fluids. Looking into the synchro-shift II for the transmission and a synthetic gear oil for the rear axle. I was wondering if any other additives should be used such as MGC in the tranny or a limited-slip additive in the rear axle? Also is the transfer case incorporated into the transmission, or a seperate assembly?

Thanks for all your help.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that is entirely up to you what you choose to put in your car, but I would stick to whatever is the oem spec fluid for the trans..
Im not 100% on that trans that vehicle came with, but if it is aisin warner, just order some Mobil 3309 fluid and swap fluid periodically... Synthetic wont do you any better that that fluid (at least not enough to justify it)

NO additives should be used in the transmissions or anywhere really on these cars besides possibly the fuel system, and im sure others on the forum would agree.

if you really want to go synthetic, you can, I did it on my s80 (used AMSOIL synthetic ATF if you were wondering) but thats because the s80 has the crap GM tranny...

Synthetic oil = good (mobil1 10w-30 for me)
Synthetic Power Steering fluid = good (pentosin CHF 202 for me)
Synthetic racing DOT4 brake fluid = good (Motul RBF600 for me)

Old 07-18-2009, 07:21 AM

Ah. I see someone else knows the BG stuff! I always rave about their products and most people have no clue about them.. I just put the 44k additive into my tank to clean the system and also with the oil change I add a bottle of MOA to the oil on my 240. Normally you don't need an additive but I will disagree with nicolaselias that you CAn use the BG products! I have used the MOA on my oil changes and so far is one of few additives that consumer reports magazine has given 2 stars and has backed all the claims of BG on the road "whiat the company is called". On the Additive for the transmission, I would personally email BG directly. Transmissions on all Volvos are usually very finicky. They only take a certain fluid. If you don't fill it with the proper oil, you will know! IMO iof you use the proper oil and add a can of the additive, you should be ok. I have readof others on here using the Volvo oil and adding an additive and being ok. Glad to know someone else uses BG additives. For everonne else, here's a link to the company. I normally don't vouch for additives, but this comany is good! http://www.bgprod.com/home.html

Old 08-05-2009, 03:08 PM

6 speed manual trans with the haldex awd system, so a no go on the atf. 'Tis why I mentioned a synchro-shift II fluid instead.

Used it in all my previous vehicles in conjunction with the MGC modifier in the tranny without any issues, so I don't see why it wouldn't be any different here.

Left a message with a BG rep today to verify product compatibility, I'll let you know what I find out when I hear something.

Anyone know fluid weights/capacities for trans/rear axle/transfer case?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:13 AM

Alright, just got off the phone with the local BG distrubitor and here is what I found out:

it is ok to use the synchro-shift II/MGC in the transmission/transfer case assembly. He also recommended using a synchro-shift/LS2 combination in the rear axle.

think I am going to try out the hi-L0W30 synthetic oil too, he recommended only using a genuine volvo filter.

I think I still have some super cool and synthetic power steering fluid from them laying around somewhere

I'll keep everyone posted and let you know what I think or if I run into any issues.