Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Turn signals quit working in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signals issue

Hello all, new guy here. I searched the forum and couldn't find this exact problem. I have a 2005 S60 2.5T. The other day it started raining pretty good and my turn signals wouldn't work. Also, my wipers only worked at normal speed. No intermittent or fast. I have had the car about a year and this is probably the third time it has happened. The first two times were last winter and it was below freezing outside. I noticed then that the horn didn't work either. Once I was about halfway to work, 20 minutes into my drive, everything would start to work again. It seemed like once the car warmed up, it was fine. I saw where someone said to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and this might solve the problem. My issue is that its not a problem I can duplicate. So how will I know if it worked? I did check under the hood and the cover for the ECM/TCM was loose. I didn't know if maybe water had gotten in there and caused the malfunction. Anyone else have this happen? specifically in the cold or rain.

Last edited by wareagle32; 08-19-2017 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Not just in the rain
Old 08-14-2017, 06:56 AM

So today it happened again. This time though it was dry as could be and it wasn't cold, 60 degrees. It only did it for a few seconds at a time. I can't imagine it's a bad switch if it is only happening occasionally. Hazards work just fine when this occurs. Could it still be a bad hazard switch? Or will the battery reset take care of the problem?

Old 08-17-2017, 12:08 AM

So I tried disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes and the problem seems to be worse. Now it's happening every time I drive the car. The weird thing is that the turn signals work just fine when I first start the car. They stop working a few minutes into my drive. Can anyone out there help? How do I figure out if it's a bad turn switch, bad hazard switch, or something else?

Old 08-18-2017, 04:26 PM

Seems like I'm talking to myself in this thread, but here goes with an update. So I took the turn signal switch out today and took off the circuit board. It was pretty greasy, so I cleaned that up and reinstalled. Pretty simple job. Drove around for about 20 minutes and it's seemed to fix the problem, but alas, it started doing it again about 2 minutes from home. Since it seems to work when the car is first started and quits later on while driving, could it really be a bad turn switch? All the contacts look good. And it doesn't make any sense to me that it's fine when I first start the car. And what does this problem have to do with the wipers only working one speed? I'm really trying to avoid going to a shop and spending hundreds of dollars to figure this out. I can get a new turn switch for about $75, but don't want to waste the money if anyone can tell me that's not the problem. ANY help would be appreciated.