Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Warranty Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty Questions

Dear Volvo Forum Friends,

I recently purchased a 2019 Volvo S60 CPO with 17368 miles on the vehicle. I was persuaded to buy a Pre-paid Maintenance Plan as well as Certified by Volvo Contract at the dealership, as I can cancel it within 30 days of the purchase. I was wondering if these would be worth the extra costs given your experiences. Please find the details of the plans below:

Pre-paid Maintenance Plan ($3398) - 5 services for every 10,000 miles until the odometer reaches 80,000 miles. Details of the plan here: https://assets.volvocars.com/us/~/me...2.pdf?la=en-us

Certified by Volvo Service Contract ($2869) - 8 years for 100,000 miles. As the vehicle purchase date was 2019, the contract will last until 2027. Details of the plan here: https://assets.volvocars.com/us/~/me...1.pdf?la=en-us

Please let me know if you need more information! Any and all experiences with S60s would be appreciated.

Old 08-01-2021, 03:11 PM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by hchchoi
I was wondering if these would be worth the extra costs given your experiences.

Pre-paid Maintenance Plan ($3398) -

Certified by Volvo Service Contract ($2869) -
The pre paid Maintenance - If you look at the service schedule - There is actually very little that is done. You have oil changes check other fluids tires and reset service light every 10k, cabin filters every 20k, brake fluid changes and an air filter every 40k. You might price those services at an qualified independent you trust - you may find the $3400 is quite a bit more than you will pay for those service items. In fact have your dealer print out what they charge for a 20,30,40,50,60,70k mile service - Does it add up to $3400? Now a dealer does have a nice show/waiting room, and may be free coffee/sodas/water! Maybe even a pastry. - Volvo did not offer me a loaner for my 20k service - and was told they don't do that for normal services. So you either wait there (for your oil change and cabin filter), or leave the car and seek alternate transportation your self. You do get a free car wash at the dealer though.

The "Service contract" sounds like an extended warranty. Those are really an insurance policy and I always suggest to my customers to treat it as such. If you typically over-insure, but way too much coverage for things you don't need to, such as extended warranties on the toaster from Target, or the Iphone from apple, or the Lawnmower and electric screw driver from home Depot - and that's what it takes for your comfort level - then buy an extended warranty.
But look at the fine print as to what is not covered, and nothing is covered until the factory warranty runs out. (4 years - 50k?) - An example - a radiator hose breaks @51000 miles, coolant leaks out rapidly, you get a low coolant warning then "I just drove it to the next exit" and the engine is destroyed. Your engine will not be covered. (quote from your brochure in the not covered section "damage as the result of continued operation with an overheat condition") Conversely you are driving along and something internal in your transmission breaks requiring a replacement - so you get a free transmission.

If you research extended warranties you will find the salesperson gets a huge commission. And that rarely do they pay enough in covered repairs to cover the $2800 cost (yes I know I will be flamed by those that " well mine covered my deframulator and that would have cost 5 times the warranty price") Those stories are very rare - if they were more common- the warranty price would be higher! I have worked with at least 50 extended warranty companies over the years - some easy to work with, some wouldn't pay to refill the engine with antifreeze!

So I do not recommend an extended warranty or prepaid service. I would put $2800 in the stock market and use those funds if I had a "covered failure". The prepaid service is only valid at a Volvo Dealership - you may change who you want your service provider to be.

The following users liked this post:
cbadger3 (04-14-2023)
Old 10-12-2022, 02:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 2020 CPO V60 Cross Country a few months back. Took it in for the 30k service and there was no charge. The Service advisor said it comes with the CPO

The following users liked this post:
KtF3 (10-12-2022)
Old 10-13-2022, 09:08 AM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by old dude
2020 V60 Cross Took it in for the 30k service there was no charge. The Service advisor said it comes with the CPO
Volvos come with free maintenance until 30k. OIl change @10k, oil change and cabin filter @20k, Oil change @30k. Don't think it had anything to do with CPO if the car was less than 3 years old.