Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

:( What the Hail Happened! :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default :( What the Hail Happened! :(

Son has the 02 S60 at college (University of Louisville). Saturday night storm blew through and every panel on the car suffered hail damage. Ping pong ball size hail. Some in his housing complex got it even worse than he did with windows being broken.

Took it by my body shop this morning to get a quick estimate on whether to file an insurance claim. They took one look at it and said file a claim, it's going to be in the thousands. Probably replace the hood and trunk and pound, pop pull the dents out of the remaining areas.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jks2
Son has the 02 S60 at college (University of Louisville). Saturday night storm blew through and every panel on the car suffered hail damage. Ping pong ball size hail. Some in his housing complex got it even worse than he did with windows being broken.

Took it by my body shop this morning to get a quick estimate on whether to file an insurance claim. They took one look at it and said file a claim, it's going to be in the thousands. Probably replace the hood and trunk and pound, pop pull the dents out of the remaining areas.
Before you do anything, take it to a good PDR (Paintless Dent Removal) guy for a quote. Hail damage is the bread and butter work for PDR. Your body shop may or may not be that guy as PDR is essentially direct competition for a traditional body shop. Some body shops do PDR, others despise it.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use this shop for all my paint/body work. My wife is a claims adjuster and they send the lions share of their work to this shop. They use PDR and he said they would use it on the roof, fenders & doors but that it would probably be cheaper to just replace the hood and the trunk and have them repainted.

He said one nice thing is that I will end up with almost an all new paint job.