Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

98 S70 ABS Modulator help

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 12:07 PM
jg1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 S70 ABS Modulator help

I was removing the control unit for my ABS - planning to replace as I have the typical symptoms suggesting the controller has gone bad and my Volvo has about 175K miles. I noticed the insulation from the 2 wires leading from the ABS pump was completely gone. I removed the modulator and pump thinking I might be able to repair the wiring, but the pump is not really designed to be opened - it can be removed from the modulator fairly easily but opening it is another matter.

Given the age and mileage on the car a new or rebuilt modulator doesn't seem like an option given the prohibitive cost.

I did locate a used one for a reasonable price but the part number is a bit different.

Mine indicates 9140254 Made in Germany
10.0204-0015.4 102973
My car is a non turbo without traction control

The one I found is 9140254B Made in Belgium
10.0204 - 0112.4 112781
This donor car was a 98 turbo s70 with traction control

These part numbers are just on the modulator pump.

The top of the plastic piece that covers the pump is also slightly different.

Does anyone know if this part would be compatible?

I'm thinking the modulator probably would not be compatible, but would I be able to swap the pump?

Now since my speedometer and odometer are failing - work about half the time while driving I am fairly certain the control unit is also bad. If I don't repair the modulator and pump but put in a new control unit, and leave the connector for the ABS pump disconnected will my speedometer work OK and the car otherwise driveable without issues? Of course I understand that the ABS is not going to be working? If Figure if I plug the pump connector in, the wires can touch and short out the module, which possibly may have been the source of my original fault.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:03 AM

I can't speak to the part number question but...

The missing insulation is curious. Is it burnt and missing (the remaining insulation near the bare wire will be hard and brittle if it is) or is the wire damaged and its missing.

If its the latter, you can wrap the wire with electrical tape. In the past I have also created insulation by using a sacrifical wire of the same size, cutting it to the missing length and slitting it the length of the insulation. If the wire goes into something uncontrolled, i push it down a bit into the cavity. then use the electricla tape to insualate and hold it together.

If its the former, then the pump is likely overheating and pulling too much current. Auto makers have a bad habit of oversizing fuses in high current circuits which leads to these burnt wires in high current situaitons. It;s a little more expensive but they could easily use a current sensing reset relay to control the circuit so they can allow a pump to start and run under different currents/loads.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:30 PM
jg1

Thanks for your reply

Insulation was very brittle and just crumbled when I tugged gently at the wires. As you suggest there may be a problem with the pump in drawing too much current.

At this point it probably makes sense to just replace the pump and the control module or possibly the whole assembly if I can find one at a reasonable price.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:35 AM

Ebay has one for about $100. No clue if its any good or not.

If you replace it, replace all the brake fluid and flush the system really well and refill it with fresh fluid. I don't recommend letting the master cylinder go dry since some require bench bleeding. I am a big advocate for brake fluid flush/replacement for ABS vehicles. All high end cars require it between 20 and 60K miles, depending on the vehicle.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:09 PM
jg1

Thanks. May have been looking at the same ebay listing. I just ordered one for 80 which also includes the control unit. It was originally 100 and got reduced. Hopefully this will work, the claim is that it is an exact fit for my model.

Probably take a few days for the part to show up - I will post back here how the repair goes once I have everything back together.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:47 AM

Take some pictures and write it up. It's always nice to have something to refer back to in the future from someone who has suffered through the process; especialy with these older vehicles.

Good luck