Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

99 s70 T5 a/c not cold. What should I check?where is low side port?

Old 05-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 99 s70 T5 a/c not cold. What should I check?where is low side port?

I don't know if today was hotter than all the rest of previous days but my a/c which had been fine is no longer blowing cold

It blows but not cold.

I might add some freon and see if that helps. I have only had the car 2 1/2 weeks. Might have got suckered in on this a/c. Might have a leak.

At least I hope it's a leaky hose and not worse but I am new to the car.

I did notice there was no condensation on any of my refrigerant lines like I would expected to have seen. But I noticed one hose was insulated

I ran the ac and watched and it didn't cycle on and off so system might be totally empty. Was cold just days ago.

Other thing is I did have to run heat first part of week. Could it be stuck in heat mode ?

Old 05-19-2011, 04:12 PM

I just got in car to leave work and it's cold again .

I guess that's a good sign. But still very odd

Any help would be great. I am going to pick up some 134a anyhow

Old 05-19-2011, 04:35 PM

I just got in car to leave work and it's cold again .

I guess that's a good sign. But still very odd

Any help would be great. I am going to pick up some 134a anyhow

Edit:

Once I got on hwy I turned it offthen on and it was warm again

Turned it off then on again. Ice cold right now.

Must be sensor or switch

Old 05-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like the compressor clutch disc needs to be shimmed. Common issue, and cheaply fixable. There's lots of threads on this problem, but basically, the clutch disc wears down, and eventually, the gap between it and the pulley gets too big for the magnetic coil to pull the plate onto the pulley. Usually, it starts out being intermittent, as the magnet works better when its cold, and the airgap is narrower before heat expands the metal. To fix it, you need to unbolt the compressor from the engine and lower it down so you can access the clutch disc- no need to disconnect the refrigerant lines- then, remove the bolt holding the disc on, and remove the disc. There are several washers (shims) between the compressor shaft and the mounting hole in the disc. Usually, all that's needed is to remove one of the shims to set the gap back to factory specs. Sometimes, you have to swap out a shim with one of a different thickness- shims are available cheaply from Volvo. The air gap should be between 0.012" and 0.020." Check with a feeler gauge.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Carrots
Sounds like the compressor clutch disc needs to be shimmed. Common issue, and cheaply fixable. There's lots of threads on this problem, but basically, the clutch disc wears down, and eventually, the gap between it and the pulley gets too big for the magnetic coil to pull the plate onto the pulley. Usually, it starts out being intermittent, as the magnet works better when its cold, and the airgap is narrower before heat expands the metal. To fix it, you need to unbolt the compressor from the engine and lower it down so you can access the clutch disc- no need to disconnect the refrigerant lines- then, remove the bolt holding the disc on, and remove the disc. There are several washers (shims) between the compressor shaft and the mounting hole in the disc. Usually, all that's needed is to remove one of the shims to set the gap back to factory specs. Sometimes, you have to swap out a shim with one of a different thickness- shims are available cheaply from Volvo. The air gap should be between 0.012" and 0.020." Check with a feeler gauge.

thanks , I will need to look this up. I am not used to being able to adjust the clutch on a compressor. never done it but its time to learn. lol

I am just glad that it appears to work fine other than that so compressor and the rest seem to be good. I do recall turning it on and off inside the car the first time and not hearing it engage like it did the 2nd time later when it was working again.

what is it I need to ask for from the dealer? clutch shim ?