Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Air Conditioning Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning Question

So, now that I have the main issues fixed with my car time to start on the lesser issues.

first being:
My A/C doesn't work. PO said that it doesn't work when I bought it, but being as this is Washington state, A/C isn't used much. The only thing I know at this point is that the light comes on when I push the button and the light goes off when I turn it off, there is no noticeable change in air temperature coming from the vents. My main concern is during winter I want to be able to remove the moisture from the cabin to keep the windows from fogging on the inside.

What do i need to check? (I've never had a car with AC before)
I read another post where someone said check the coolant level, check the clutch, and check some sort of sensor, but it was a different model so i don't know if it applies.
Also... how? I don't know where the air compressor or clutch is yet, where do I find that and how do I check the levels?

Old 09-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. The plan would be to make sure it's serviced, then look for bad parts. If the system has been shut down for a while, it could be gunked up. If so, you will likely need a pro to vac & clean the sytem out.

The most common problem is a leak in the system. Start by checking the FREON level. It is suppose to be serviced with R134. You can purchase a rechage kit from Wal-Mart, O'Riely's, etc. Purchase the big can with the guage & short hose on it. Will likely cost between $25 - $35. If the system has not been run in a while, it is likely empty if it has a leak. So you may want to get a short can as well. Get the R134 that has leak dye in it. I think the system can hold 2.5 lbs of freon. Read the can, it has good instructions.

1. You start by starting the car, turning the AC on MAX. That means you turn the fan on manual, max. Then you push the recycle button. You also put it on face vents. You should be getting a ton of air, most likely not cold.
2. Then you remove the cap from the AC line. Mine is next to the box along the finder frame, just fwd the cerpentine belt. Take the cap off and pop the guage on. I have already connected the hose to the can. When you hook it on the valve stem, if there is any freon in the system, you will get a pressure reading. If you have no pressure reading, the system is likely empty and has a leak.
3. According to the instructions on the bottle, fill the system until you have good pressure. Take your time, it may take several minutes to service the system, and like I said earlier, you may need the additional can. While you are servicing it, it may start kicking the compressor off and on, that is good. Once serviced properly, the compressor will stay on more than off. It is ok if it kicks on and off, don't let that bother you.
4. Once serviced to the proper pressure, unhook the hose from the valve stem, cap it, and check inside to see if it is cooling.

If servicing it doesn't fix it post back and we'll go from there. If that does fix it, and it leaks out, you need to find and fix the leak. Mine leaks down in about 40 days.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, servicing it made it start working, so I guess all I have to do is wait and see if it leaks.