Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Dash board removal for mounting tab repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called my mechanic guy, and he said he was able to get the pin out. However, he said one of the pins broke. I guess I should have two extra pins leftover from one dash, so I'm OK.

thanks again.

I'll post some pictures of the old dash once I get it. It'll be nice post more pictures of destroyed mounting tabs.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like a plan.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:31 AM

woo hoo, heater core leak =( don't want to hijack this thread, but is this something I should buy from the dealer? Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of waiting for one to be mail ordered at this point.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Check around local auto parts stores. If they have a Hella/behr one that is OEM.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:06 AM

Unfortunately, time wasn't on my side today. I found a Nissens for $140 online early in the morning, but by the afternoon when I tried to order it, they said it wouldn't arrive by Friday. I couldn't even expedite it for a fee =(

So, I tried IPD, and for a crazy $59, I had them ship it for arrival tomorrow. So, with o-rings, it cost about $215. Yeah, that's 50% more than I should have paid, but it's still well under the $353 that the dealer wanted. Even NAPA's heater core was $250, and they would have had to ship it from Ohio.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Glad you got one.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:23 AM

Wow, I picked up my car today and asked to see the old dashboard. I've attached my awesome pictures. The left and right tabs don't even exist, and the middle two are missing the front portion. Unfortunately, the mechanic didn't keep the broken pieces. I would have liked to have seen the condition of everything. So, basically, my dash was probably only held in place by two small screw on the edges of the dash.

Now that I've seen the damage, I wonder if there is anything underlying that would have caused the whole tab to have been ripped away from the dash. The usual stories are of distintegrated tabs and not what I seem to have.

The car has a tiny squeak from the right side. It sounds like a tiny mouse, and it's hardly anything compared to the loud cracking sound I heard before. I wonder if a little tightening in a few weeks will fix that. I remember reading here that someone had to tighten his dash a couple times afterwards.

My drive home was pleasantly quiet and strangely more fun! I don't know why, but the car feels much tighter and more reponsive. I don't know if the loose dash caused the weight to shift and that made a difference, but the drive now feels much different.

Attached Thumbnails  Dash board removal for mounting tab repair-no_tabs.jpg  
Old 05-02-2009, 04:00 AM
Smile

Dear All,

I have found the layout of the parts of the dashboard on the internet. However still I could not manage to remove the dashboard, since it is rainy in Istanbul and I do not have a garage. I guess I am having problem from the part number 1 in the picture.

I hope the picture in thew attachment will be helpful to members. Cheers.

Attached Thumbnails  Dash board removal for mounting tab repair-9713320.jpg  
Old 05-02-2009, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by yoyoman
Wow, I picked up my car today and asked to see the old dashboard. I've attached my awesome pictures. The left and right tabs don't even exist, and the middle two are missing the front portion. Unfortunately, the mechanic didn't keep the broken pieces. I would have liked to have seen the condition of everything. So, basically, my dash was probably only held in place by two small screw on the edges of the dash.

Now that I've seen the damage, I wonder if there is anything underlying that would have caused the whole tab to have been ripped away from the dash. The usual stories are of distintegrated tabs and not what I seem to have.

The car has a tiny squeak from the right side. It sounds like a tiny mouse, and it's hardly anything compared to the loud cracking sound I heard before. I wonder if a little tightening in a few weeks will fix that. I remember reading here that someone had to tighten his dash a couple times afterwards.

My drive home was pleasantly quiet and strangely more fun! I don't know why, but the car feels much tighter and more reponsive. I don't know if the loose dash caused the weight to shift and that made a difference, but the drive now feels much different.
Glad it is better now. Yes I would try to tighten the screws in like a week or so.

That is the common failure like I see all the time. I think what happens is they crack and get some movement then just rattle them selves till there is nothing left.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Puruz
Dear All,

I have found the layout of the parts of the dashboard on the internet. However still I could not manage to remove the dashboard, since it is rainy in Istanbul and I do not have a garage. I guess I am having problem from the part number 1 in the picture.

I hope the picture in thew attachment will be helpful to members. Cheers.
Yes #1 is the common part that is the issue.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:14 PM

my only fear after seeing how badly my last dash was destroyed was that the screws I put in might have weakened the plastic a little bit. I was careful and predrilled the holes first. Well, I hope that by adding the piping strap that minimizes the movement, and thus it never gets to the point where it rattles itself to pieces.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Administrator

I have done alot of them and after a year they were still quiet.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by yoyoman

that tiny squeak on the right is probably the glove box. mine does that too

Old 05-03-2009, 11:54 PM

you're right it is! Even before reading this, I was outside putting some things back into the glovebox, and when I closed it shut, I heard the squeak. It squeaks when I push anywhere along the top of it.

Any ideas on how to make the squeaking stop? Do I need to pad or oil something? It never squeaked before ...

Old 05-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Administrator

I have had to fix this before but I forget how I did. I think it is in the latch and catch.
Maybe try a thin layer of black tape on the metal bar latch.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by tech
I have had to fix this before but I forget how I did. I think it is in the latch and catch.
Maybe try a thin layer of black tape on the metal bar latch.
that worked well for me

Old 05-22-2009, 02:43 AM
Exclamation

Guys,

I have my dash repaired the other day and you would not beleive your eyes how bad it was. Two Screw holes were even not there the third, was there but not at good condition, only one was ok. I really suggest if you are having such problems get it fixed asap because it may cost you more if you continue driving like that.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:46 AM

Thanks for all the great info. I was able to get this done yesterday. 3 of the 4 mounting points were damaged.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Glad all went well for you.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:23 AM

My dash light is out and it sounds pretty expensive to have the dash removed (don't think I could do it). Has anyone found an alternative? booklight?

Quick Reply: Dash board removal for mounting tab repair