Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

decideing to mod or not.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decideing to mod or not.

ok heres the deal. im new at modding. ive never done it before ive had a few cars now and its time. to spice it up. i have a volvo s70 awd (turbo) automatic.
im not sure if it will be worth it to mod a car thats automatic. if anyone can help me decide or even give me tips on whats most important. or just help me out

thanks

Old 01-13-2011, 03:08 PM

i have faced this exact issue with my AWD s70 turbo with auto tran. i have decided to mod my car for longevity and not necessarily speed; i.e. aux. front mount tran. fluid intercooler. and i have some others that do both longevity and fun; K&N drop in filter, OBX strut brace. with the auto trans, especially in the s70, you risk alot of damage by pushing it hard often. if you do decide to mod, certainly achieve a full stage 0 first.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Man, Just look around and make your choices. There is a lot of information here and on other Volvo sites that you can gleen from. No one will tell you what to do or how to do it. Mods are very personal.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:25 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

1. What is your budget like?

2. Can you do the installs yourself?

3. Have you done a FULL STATGE ZERO yet? If not do so first before modding, period.

4. Do you want all around performance or just in one area? Like engine/suspension/cosmetic?

Some typical mods would be as follows...

- 3" mandrel bent downpipe to a 3" mandrel bent catback system with a hi flow CAT and free flowing straight through muffler.

- K&N panel filter and or IPD's or EST's short ram intake system.

- ECU upgrade. IPD USA, RICA are the two best on the market. Upsolute, SpeedTuning USA, Inmotion are cheaper and less developed but you do still gain power.

Those three items are the three best items to do if your looking for simple engine mods. It gets more complicated when you get into Intercooler upgrades and Turbo swaps and High flow intake and exhaust manifolds, etc...

Simple suspension mods are as follows...

- IPD USA's sway bar upgrade kit. Well worth the money.

- A single hinged (If you can find it, like a OMP.) strut brace. Do not buy into the ECONOMY models. Get a real strut brace.

- Heavy Duty and or replacement sway bar links.

- Upgrade the front struts/shocks to KONI's or Bilstein HD's. As for the rear you have a nivomat system back there that is hard to replace with aftermarket parts.

Simple cosmetic mods are as follows...

- Eyebrow kit. Can be had from a few places.

- Rims and tires (5x108mm)

- ABM Projector headlights. Available from a few places.

- E-code headlight lenses and turn signals

- HID's (You'll want a 35w kit with no more then 5000K bulbs & no less then 4300K bulbs. Unless you want less light output and a different color.)

- Mesh grille or if you can find one a Eggcrate grille like the one pictured below.

- 1998 V70R front bumper upgrade and or a 1998 C70 bumper. The V70R is more popular.

This is my 1999 S70 AWD:

MODS: Lotek Triple Gauge A-pillar pod with Autometer Phantom Series Boost/Vac, Volt and Oil Pressure gauges. ABM Chrome Projector Headlights with a Apexcone 35w 5000K HID system and matching turn signals. EuroSportTuning (EST) strut brace, HEICO Front Spoiler Extensions (Good luck finding them, and finding them cheap.). Blitzsafe iPod adapter, EuroSportTuning (EST) Short Ram Intake. SpeedTuning USA ECU upgrade set at 15PSI (Which is the max PSI you want to run on the stock turbo. Which is a Mitsubishi 13g angled flange.).

What it has had on it previously has been some EuroSportTuning (EST) eyebrow kit. E-code headlights lenses and matching clear turn signals (From FCPGroton). EuroSportTuning (EST) black mesh grille. Blowoff valve (Forget the brand) it leaked vacuum like crazy. Not worth installing. It will only go off if you let off the gas. It was cool for awhile then it got annoying. I removed it and put another stock pipe back on since I had the BOV's adapter welded to the old pipe.

Last edited by S70driver; 01-14-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:45 PM
Default AWSOME front bumper!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by S70driver
1. What is your budget like?

2. Can you do the installs yourself?

3. Have you done a FULL STATGE ZERO yet? If not do so first before modding, period.

4. Do you want all around performance or just in one area? Like engine/suspension/cosmetic?

Some typical mods would be as follows...

- 3" mandrel bent downpipe to a 3" mandrel bent catback system with a hi flow CAT and free flowing straight through muffler.

- K&N panel filter and or IPD's or EST's short ram intake system.

- ECU upgrade. IPD USA, RICA are the two best on the market. Upsolute, SpeedTuning USA, Inmotion are cheaper and less developed but you do still gain power.

Those three items are the three best items to do if your looking for simple engine mods. It gets more complicated when you get into Intercooler upgrades and Turbo swaps and High flow intake and exhaust manifolds, etc...

Simple suspension mods are as follows...

- IPD USA's sway bar upgrade kit. Well worth the money.

- A single hinged (If you can find it, like a OMP.) strut brace. Do not buy into the ECONOMY models. Get a real strut brace.

- Heavy Duty and or replacement sway bar links.

- Upgrade the front struts/shocks to KONI's or Bilstein HD's. As for the rear you have a nivomat system back there that is hard to replace with aftermarket parts.

Simple cosmetic mods are as follows...

- Eyebrow kit. Can be had from a few places.

- Rims and tires (5x108mm)

- ABM Projector headlights. Available from a few places.

- E-code headlight lenses and turn signals

- HID's (You'll want a 35w kit with no more then 5000K bulbs & no less then 4300K bulbs. Unless you want less light output and a different color.)

- Mesh grille or if you can find one a Eggcrate grille like the one pictured below.

- 1998 V70R front bumper upgrade and or a 1998 C70 bumper. The V70R is more popular.

This is my 1999 S70 AWD:

MODS: Lotek Triple Gauge A-pillar pod with Autometer Phantom Series Boost/Vac, Volt and Oil Pressure gauges. ABM Chrome Projector Headlights with a Apexcone 35w 5000K HID system and matching turn signals. EuroSportTuning (EST) strut brace, HEICO Front Spoiler Extensions (Good luck finding them, and finding them cheap.). Blitzsafe iPod adapter, EuroSportTuning (EST) Short Ram Intake. SpeedTuning USA ECU upgrade set at 15PSI (Which is the max PSI you want to run on the stock turbo. Which is a Mitsubishi 13g angled flange.).

What it has had on it previously has been some EuroSportTuning (EST) eyebrow kit. E-code headlights lenses and matching clear turn signals (From FCPGroton). EuroSportTuning (EST) black mesh grille. Blowoff valve (Forget the brand) it leaked vacuum like crazy. Not worth installing. It will only go off if you let off the gas. It was cool for awhile then it got annoying. I removed it and put another stock pipe back on since I had the BOV's adapter welded to the old pipe.

I was wondering where you got the front bumper on that white S70? I have a 1999 S70 T5 and was wondering if you know where i can get one?
Nate

Old 04-18-2011, 03:32 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I got the HEICO Front Spoiler Extensions from IPD USA a few years ago. They were on clearance/sale for one hell of a deal. I believe EuroSportTuning used to sell them as well.

However I don't know where to locate them now. Brand new not on sale your going to spend $500+ just to buy them.