Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Door problems and questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door problems and questions

Hi All, I own a 97/98 S70 here in the UK and I am having some problems with the drivers door (door on the right side of the car). wondered if you could help:

Start with the one that is off most worry, two days ago (today is 2/24/07) the door started to make this very loud crack sound when ever you open it. Inoted that this happened when youopen the door outto orpassed the positions where it would stay open (if full or half open).I isolated the problem to be with the spring/holding mechanism on the door not the hinges but the spring.This part of the door seems to have two size 10 (don’t know what the imperial equivalent is) nuts bolting the assembly inside the door.These two were louse soI used the spanners (renches) in the tool kit that comes with the car to tighten them up and increase the alignment of the door. This seems to reduceor eliminate the noise, however open thedoor a few times and thenuts (more the one on the top) are louse again and the cracking sound returns.

Any Ideas?

Also the switch panel on the drivers door (windows and locks etc) to change it do you have to take the internals of the door off? I have noted that in the grab handle on the door there is a flap that seems to cover up a screw head, ifI take that screw out does the switch panel and the other surrounding trim come out?
I will try and post pics of the parts I am talking about if that would help?
Thanks for your help
James

Old 02-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Door problems and questions

1. The weld in the door might have broke as well as the check being bad.

2.The switch can be removed without removing the door panel. Use a small hook tool and insert by one of the small switches then lift straight up.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:29 PM

Thanks Tech, this is my first car so it is great to know there is a bunch of people out there who know them inside out and don’t mind helping out.

Do you know whereI could find some pictures of the inside of the door of the S70? Alsowhere i can get instructions on how to removethe internal doorpanel?
If it is the weld then the inside paneling of the door is going to have to come off and I may as well have to lock and the switches done at the same time.
Regards
James

Old 02-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The panel is pretty easy (Sorry no pics)
Remove the little cover in the little pocket you use to close the door. Then remove the screw.
Next remove the trim ring around the inner door handle. Usually easiest to pull down form the top and out.

The rest of the door panel is held in with clips. But be careful pulling the glue they use to hold them together is junk.
I usually grab the map pocket and pull out on the panel.

Check really good where the striker is and where the noise is coming from.
1/2 the time it is the door side the other 1/2 it is the body side.

The door is also very simple to totally remove from the car.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:07 PM

Hy guys, I had a shop fix the problem with my S70 but if you want to have a go your self or you have to take the side door pannel off for any reason full instructions with pic's can be found here.
http://volvospeed.com/Repair/70_door.php
Thanks for the support
James

Old 06-24-2007, 06:22 PM

I did the nut/bolt fix also. Worked like a champ. Buying a small wrench that fits the 2 lock nuts I used and then using a dremel to cut it in half and then I taped it around my index finger and just held the lock nut with the wrench and then tightend it from the outside. I used a dab of hotglue to hold the nut into the wrench so it wouldn't fall into the door.