Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Driver Seat Noise (Popping)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Driver Seat Noise (Popping)

Hey there,

I have a 1998 Volvo S70. My issue is that when I take off or while driving and I hit or bump or rough road, my driver's side front power seat rattles or pops. I took it to a auto interior shop yesterday (referred by my Volvo shop that repairs my car) and the person did not drive it rather he said that he probably need to replace the seat track to the tune of almost $800. Initially, he was going to charge me $75 to take the seat out and look at it but instead he simply inspected it and drew a conclusion.

Today, I decided to not recline while driving and the noise was not there. However, when I reclined back with driving the, seat starting making the noise while I was driving. So, I don't think that it's the track that has gone bad; rather, the back of the seat is loose. While the car is parked and from the back seat, I can push the back of the seat and it makes the noise. So, I don't believe it's the track that had gone bad; rather, the seat back is loose.

Any advice. I don't want to shell out $800 and it not fix the problem.

Thanks,
Aaron

Old 02-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

See if you can find something to tighen. If not, maybe replace the seat with one from a salvage yard.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
See if you can find something to tighen. If not, maybe replace the seat with one from a salvage yard.
So it makes sense that the tracking does not need to be replaced? What would you think needs to be tightened?

Old 02-07-2010, 08:59 AM

Just got off the phone with an auto shop and was advised by the owner that he would have never just concluded that I needed a new tracks without taking the seat out, like the other one did. He thinks that something may be loose in the seat and will take it off and take a look at it for $85 and make any adjustment\repairs. He also said if I needed a new seat that he could get me one for a few $100s and replace it's covers with mine current one. Lucky, his office phone is forwarded to his cell on the weekend.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aarondawg
Just got off the phone with an auto shop and was advised by the owner that he would have never just concluded that I needed a new tracks without taking the seat out, like the other one did. He thinks that something may be loose in the seat and will take it off and take a look at it for $85 and make any adjustment\repairs. He also said if I needed a new seat that he could get me one for a few $100s and replace it's covers with mine current one. Lucky, his office phone is forwarded to his cell on the weekend.
So, did you find the cause of the problem? I have similar problem. I don't know what to tighten.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by t5ftw
So, did you find the cause of the problem? I have similar problem. I don't know what to tighten.
He discovered that bolts were loose on the seat when he took it out. He tighten them up. The tracks were fine. Total cost, $85.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aarondawg
He discovered that bolts were loose on the seat when he took it out. He tighten them up. The tracks were fine. Total cost, $85.
Whew. That's a relief. $85 not bad. I wish to try this myself though, cause I have a broken tail lamp to replace, and other fluid services to be done. I guess I have to search the forum to see how can I take the seat out, but all I could find so far is that there are four bolts. Its probably obvious thing to many on this forum but I am kind of new. Any info about where they are located and what kind of tools are needed will help.