Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Dummy Muffler? and Cold Air Intake...help

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dummy Muffler? and Cold Air Intake...help

SO how come under my 1999 S70 AWD turbo the exhaust pipe comes from the cat and goes into a dummy muffler that is on the drivers side. From there its piped into the real muffler that lets out the exhaust.

Can i take that off and just put and aftermarket one where the dummy one is now.
And any good brands to look for.

Also what is the cheapest cold air intake. I cannot spend above 125

Old 06-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch603
SO how come under my 1999 S70 AWD turbo the exhaust pipe comes from the cat and goes into a dummy muffler that is on the drivers side. From there its piped into the real muffler that lets out the exhaust.

Can i take that off and just put and aftermarket one where the dummy one is now.
And any good brands to look for.

Also what is the cheapest cold air intake. I cannot spend above 125
That's just the way it is. I also don't think you can take the dummy muffler off and slap an aftermarket one on there. Just do a CATBACK exhaust and or a dull TURBOBACK exhaust system and you'll be fine. Put it this way. Unless you do the other side with the same muffler it will sound funny and look funny. So just do a full catback system and either make it a dual or single.

Also there is no real CAI's for our cars. We can buy what are called Short Ram Intakes (SRI). IPD USA and EuroSportTuning (EST) both sell these. However they are above your price range and wont add muc power if any. Just sound and under the hood flare.

Now there is a CAI for the s40's and C30's. However it wont fir your car and it is way above your price range to begin with. I suggest making your own and piecing it together.

Last edited by S70driver; 06-22-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:42 PM

yeah, you can just run the exhaust out on the drivers side (replacing the dummy with the real thing) thats the shortest distance and therefore the least backpressure. if i were going to do exhaust, i would do that and buy a muffler with no resonators, but that is too much noise for how much highway driving i do. maybe someday i will. i currently have a ram air intake that i made my self that i ran a pipe up from the front bumper area to provide cold air. i also built and aluminum box around it to help keep the hot air out. its more of a do it yourself thing. good luck

Old 06-23-2009, 09:19 AM

im really only doing the exhaust for sound purposes anyways. And whats a good sounding muffler for volvos since a catback/turboback is well above my $300 price range.

And as far as RAM air goes does anybody have any tutorials on how to build my own?

Old 06-23-2009, 11:15 AM

If your just going for sound then honestly any aftermarket muffler will do that will fit.

If you want name brand then Magnaflow and BORLA are two good brands to go with.

If you care anything about performance you'll want a straight through design muffler meaning no baffles and the two brands mentioned above are like that straight through design mufflers.

If for some reason you want baffles then I suggest a Flowmaster muffler, they have the baffles.

However turbo cars want a free flowing exhaust as much as possible. But since your only going for sound, it truly doesn't matter what you slap on the back there.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:28 PM

alright. I wasnt sure if anyone had done a full turbo back exhaust on here. and if so post some pictures.

Also can someone link me to a tutorial on making a SRI

Old 06-23-2009, 03:50 PM

I am sure people have done a full turboback system on here and I know many have done it on other Volvo based forums...

What it comes down to is they are going to sound different then just adding a muffler like you want to do. Also they aren't just adding a muffler for sound, they are using it for performance too.

I did a catback on a 1995 850 N/A with a Magnaflow and it sounded nice. Now that isn't what I should have used on a N/A but I did. I should have used a baffled muffler but anyways...

Go onto Youtube and check out Volvo's and see what people have done and listen to the exhaust systems. Now realize that a full turboback is going to sound different then just a aftermarket muffler on your stock exhaust system.

You really do need to search this forum to find information. If a search feature doesn't work or a term doesn't provide anything, try something else. Also try fiddling with the features at the bottom of each forum to show all threads or only ones from lets say a month ago...

Here is a link to a home made SRI intake that someone made on this forum. I looked at it and the pictures don't work, but they have the materials they used etc... listed. https://volvoforums.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-21/v70-r-custom-intake-heat-shield-6473/

Also found by doing a search... http://quickbrickmotorsports.com/bay19/cai/cai.htm

Last edited by S70driver; 06-23-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:31 AM

I'm running a Suppertrap exaust on mine. It's fully adjustable to the sound that you want it by removing the metal plates on the inside. I have all my plates in right now because when you drive for awhile on the highway the noise gives me a headache. Around town it sounds mean though.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:22 PM

where did you get that suppertrap, and how much did it cost you?

Old 07-01-2009, 11:14 PM

Since we are talking about exhaust..........I have a 2000 SE/GLT and after I start it and run a bit there is a ticking sound coming from under the car. Is there a hole or somethign in the exhaust? What should I do to troubleshoot?

Old 07-03-2009, 02:15 PM

can someone please explain to me how 'supertrapp' exhaust systems work. 'add discs for power and sound, remove to quiet it down' ???? makes no sense to me.