Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

ETM issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ETM issues

Hey there, I posted on here previously for what I thought were Fuel Pump issues and it turns out it is the Electronic Throttle Module. Sometimes my '99 S70 will run perfectly fine (no rough idling, limp mode, etc ) but for some reason it's acting up again. I know I can send the module to Xemodex and get it fixed, and I tried to buy the Sacer TPS (which had no instructions ANYWHERE on the internet) but is there any other solutions that anybody has for theirs? Is there a way to clean the inside of the module? Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ETM Issue

Yoo I just recently cleaned my ETM. It actually pretty easy to do. The ETM is located at the end of the air filter tube connecting to the engine. First, disconnect battery. Next,remove the clamp and take off the tube that connects the ETM to the air filter. The ETM is connected by 4 10 mm bolts to the right of the engine. Remove those and the ETM pops right out. The started is also connected by two tiny torx screws...dont take them out its glued there. You can take out the entire ETM but the power chord is wrapped way under the engine so I suggest just cleaning it in the engine with WD40 and a wire brush. (obviously in a plastic bag or something)

My car idled extremely poorly and was so rough in traffic. I tried to figure out the issue for so long and this fixed it 100%. Get a wire brush and scrub the **** out of the air filter tube and ETM. There should be a bunch of black **** that comes out. Pretty easy job if you know how to work a ratchet and be careful not to break any tubes. Heres a vid that helps..although he does it on an s80. The etm is in a different area.
Good luck!!! Made my car smooth again 217k