Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

High flow air intake mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 02:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High flow air intake mod

Ok, so over the past few days I ahve been thinking about possible air intake upgrades. As you know giving the engine more air will make it run better. Brands: K&N and EST where the ones I looked at. I decided to go with EST. EST offers two upgraded air intakes. The sport replacment filter($60) and the air intake system($200). So I emailed them to see what the differnce is. Here is the reply:

"What we have found to be the main difference between the sport replacement
filter and our Ultra-flo intake kit is the sport replacement filter will
give you better off the line performance but the Ultra-flo intake kit will
generate more hp gain when the vehicle is moving and at higher rpm range as
it is not limited to air flow like the factory air box."

I underlined/bolded the main part. Limited, hmmm, well that got me thinking. So here is my idea:
PIC 1&2: Air intake box, cut a retangular piece out of the upper half of the intake. Gives more air right? One might argue that the air from that part would be less clean or some such thing(blue sprays= air) Go to PIC 3.

S70driver I hope it was ok to use/edit your pic, if not I will take it off.
PIC3: I have outlined where the box would be. As you can see air from where the cut would be is getting sucked in with the EST air intake system.

Ok so to finish this up:

"What we have found to be the main difference between the sport replacement
filter and our Ultra-flo intake kit is the sport replacement filter will
give you better off the line performance but the Ultra-flo intake kit will
generate more hp gain when the vehicle is moving and at higher rpm rang
e
as
it is not limited to air flow like the factory air box."

So wouldnt cutting the whole and getting the EST filter give you better off the line perfomance and since it wont be air limited, genrate more HP just like the air intake system? You could say that the air intake system still has more air availiable to it, WHICH IT DOES, but then again your engine can only take in so much air.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: High flow air intake mod

Well actually, I do see one major flaw in my idea, cutting the top half would allow un filtered air into the intake. Will have to take a look at the box tmrw.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: High flow air intake mod

1. DO NOT cut your OEM airbox. This is a poor mans mod and it wont net you anything but sound. With a hole cut in the airbox HOT air will be able to enter the intake system.

2. Either put a K&N panel filter in your stock airbox and or EST performance panel filter.

3. Get the EST intake. Even with the cold air pipe still connected with this system more hot air is able to enter the intake system then with the OEM setup.

Also your MAF decides how much air your car is going to take in. It meters it. So even with a HIGH FLOW filter and or an intake system like mine your not flowing anymore air into the system then you are with the OEM airbox.