Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Newb with annoying rattle - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb with annoying rattle - Help!

I have a new-to-me S70. I've had it a couple of weeks. About two days ago it developed an annoying rattle that is driving me crazy. I live in Michigan and the roads here are horrible right now -- filled with potholes! You just can't avoid them. A three mile stretch of a major road near my house is one of the worst in the city. I've already replaced two tires and a cracked wheel this year due to the horrible shape of the roads.

Anyway, a few days ago I hit a series of potholes in the S70 and instantly started hearing a rattle. When I got home I crawled under the car to see if some shield had come loose. Everything seems tight. After the next drive I figured it must be coming from the rear end, so I dropped the back seats and it seemed to be even louder. I removed the spare tire and replaced it, making sure everything was in the right place and super tight. Still a rattle. I thought it might be the license plate, so I put rubber washers on it. Still a rattle. I've checked just about everything I can think of and I still have a rattle.

When I drive with the windows open it seems to be coming from the passenger side of the car. And it rattles most when the road on that side of the car is rough. When there's nobody in the back seat it is most noticeable.

Today I crawled under the back end again. I noticed a shield in front of the gas tank. When I pulled it and let is snap it sounded a little like what I've been hearing, but it seems to be on there tightly and it's not bent or out of shape in any way. So then I pulled out my hydraulic jack and decided I was going to get serious about this. As I was lifting the passenger side of the car I noticed a significant popping noise coming from the rear wheel (even though the jack was positioned at the front of the car). I moved the jack to just on front of the rear wheel and lifted and dropped the back end. Each time I could hear these very noticeable popping noises. Could this be the noise I've been hearing? Inside the car it kind of sounds like a large marble bouncing around in a tin can. And where is it coming from exactly... the shock or the spring?

Anyway, I've been so impressed with all the postings I've read on this forum that I figured someone would have some experience to help me figure out how to solve this problem. I'm a pretty adventurous DIYer, and I have a great indy mechanic for everything I can't (or don't want to) do myself.

Thanks for any advice!

Jay

Old 04-17-2008, 06:28 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Newb with annoying rattle - Help!

I would check the upper springs.
I would also check the sway bar end links.