Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Right Front Wheel Just Started Making Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right Front Wheel Just Started Making Noise

I just bought a 99 S70 GLT and have been driving it for almost a month. Did a tune up right when I got it (switched to full synthetic) and everything looked pretty solid as far as the important stuff. Brakes, shocks, springs, tires, and nothing funny about the motor either.

Today I started to hear noise coming from the front right wheel. No noise or anything when I am turning, even sharply, just when I am driving.

When I am cruising it almost sounds like a wooshing like wind in a tunnel, but it could also be the shock/spring moving up and down rapidly. When I am braking and slowing down, the wooshing is so slow that it almost sounds like it's creaking. I saw someone describe a problem that way somewhere else but can't find that thread.

It should be known that right before I bought it the right front lower control arm and strut were replaced. The guy gave me all the service records and there was a problem with this wheel 4 or 5 years ago that was deemed "fixed" though it doesn't say what they did or what it was.

Any help is appreciated and if I am leaving something out let me know.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whoosh like in a wind tunnel? sounds like wheel bearing. But nothing when turning? At what speed? sharp turn, shallow turn? under load, coasting?

It is NOT suspension, unless you do rally and we don't know about it, the suspension struts are not going to be moving that far and fast to create a noise like what you described.

jack the car up one wheel at a time. turn each wheel by hand. It should be smooth with slight drag from the brakes.

OH and one thing you should check first before anything, make sure the rotor backing plate isn't touching the rotor in anyway.I know dealerships that say oh its a transmission noise when its really just a little backing plate contact with the backside of the rotor. It would also emit a similar noise to what you described.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked it out today after work and it turns out a while back someone sanded some rust off the rotor and did a really ****ty, uneven job. Smoothed it out and no problemo.

Thanks for the input!