Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

S70 making odd noise while going slow and/or idling

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S70 making odd noise while going slow and/or idling

until a few weeks ago, my '98 S70 ran beautiful. now whenever i start the car it starts making a weird noise somewhat similar to wet brakes (its in the engine tho).

it makes this noise whenever it is in park or neutral. it also SOMETIMES makes it when in drive (most common while on an incline)

any ideas? i mean my ABS & Tracs off lights recently started coming on too, but it is definitely the engine making this noise

sorry if this doesnt make sense; feel free to ask any q's

Old 08-31-2009, 08:00 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Does the brake pedal pulse when it happens?
Also does the car have headlight wipers?

Old 08-31-2009, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by tech
Does the brake pedal pulse when it happens?
Also does the car have headlight wipers?

it pulses every once in a while like when i take a turn fast or go over railroad tracks (and then those 2 dash lights come on) but i really think that the "shaking/noises" are coming from under the hood and not back by the wheels.

and yes it has headlight wipers (and one of them does act up quite a bit)

i appreciate the help man

Old 08-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Administrator

I wonder if the headlight motor running is what you are hearing?

Old 08-31-2009, 08:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you feel any vibration? I'm thinking of pointing you toward an engine mount- the lower right one- sometimes when that one goes out, the oil pan will vibrate against that little loop that sticks out from the engine cradle, and that noise comes and goes depending on what gear it's in, or whether you're on the gas or not.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:09 PM

na its definitely not the wiper motor

Originally Posted by Carrots
Do you feel any vibration? I'm thinking of pointing you toward an engine mount- the lower right one- sometimes when that one goes out, the oil pan will vibrate against that little loop that sticks out from the engine cradle, and that noise comes and goes depending on what gear it's in, or whether you're on the gas or not.
hmm im definitely going to look into this tomorrow, that sounds exactly like what im experiencing. you can hear the noise a lot more in the car vs outside so the vibrating is definitely a possibility. and yes i can feel it shake sometimes (most likely when im on an incline)

ill keep you posted

Old 08-31-2009, 09:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The mount I'm talking about is just to the left of, and below, the harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley) on the lower right. You'll probably need to take the fender liner loose to see it all the way. Pry VERY GENTLY between the cradle and the oil pan, or place a floor jack with a large block of wood under the engine and lift just enough to take up the weight of the engine- don't lift the car with it, or you could damage the oil pan. Doing either of these things, observe the engine, if it easily moves an inch or 2 up without resistance, the mount is bad. You'll probably see the mount separate from its base, too. Also, if, while at rest, the engine is less than a centimeter or so from that little loop on the cradle, or there's obvious scratch marks on the oil pan from it coming in contact, that's also a sure sign that that mount needs changed.

If the mount is bad, and is soaked in oil,(it usually is) you need to fix the oil leak, or it's going to do it again. A common cause of this is the front 3 bolts on the oil pan (below the balancer.) They pass into an oil passage, and they don't have sealer on them from the factory. There's a technical service bulletin for this, and a search of the forum will get you repair instructions.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Carrots
The mount I'm talking about is just to the left of, and below, the harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley) on the lower right. You'll probably need to take the fender liner loose to see it all the way. Pry VERY GENTLY between the cradle and the oil pan, or place a floor jack with a large block of wood under the engine and lift just enough to take up the weight of the engine- don't lift the car with it, or you could damage the oil pan. Doing either of these things, observe the engine, if it easily moves an inch or 2 up without resistance, the mount is bad. You'll probably see the mount separate from its base, too. Also, if, while at rest, the engine is less than a centimeter or so from that little loop on the cradle, or there's obvious scratch marks on the oil pan from it coming in contact, that's also a sure sign that that mount needs changed.

If the mount is bad, and is soaked in oil,(it usually is) you need to fix the oil leak, or it's going to do it again. A common cause of this is the front 3 bolts on the oil pan (below the balancer.) They pass into an oil passage, and they don't have sealer on them from the factory. There's a technical service bulletin for this, and a search of the forum will get you repair instructions.
yup you got that 100% right man. i popped off the right front wheel and i saw those 2 pieces of rubber (spacers) just hanging there by a thread. it looks like these would give out quite often on the passenger side because theyre tiny, but on the driver side it has HUGE spacers cause thats right where the trans is

thanks again!

Old 09-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Glad you found it!